You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-16 09:12:10

dp
Website

mage and prekin

"Mage is a 3D vector display program which shows "kinemage" graphics. Used in both teaching and research, in applications ranging from estuary ecology to X-ray crystallography model quality assessments"

for me as a biology-student ... and maybe someone else is also interested in

for the people that want to find out ... here a link with some example-files:http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/kinemage/kinemage.php

.... also prekin in incoming ... to build kinemage-files from PDB-files (www.pdb.org) ... now you should be able to play around also if you are not an biologist :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2003-08-16 09:32:42

dp
Website

Re: mage and prekin

some kinemage graphics can be found here:

ftp://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/pub/kinfiles/BT2kins/

... can be opened in mage

#3 2003-08-16 12:04:27

Mork II

Ah, I'm a biology student as well smile. Will try this package soon, I just hope it works whitout hardware acceleration.

#4 2003-08-16 12:52:23

dp
Website

where do you study? what do you study? what are your aims for later?

Mork II wrote:

Ah, I'm a biology student as well smile. Will try this package soon, I just hope it works whitout hardware acceleration.

-> it's more for molecular biology

-> no 3d-acceleration, i think ... but its not perfect to rotate (i tried hämoglobin ... ok it's not the smallest one, but it is not smooth)

did you try to compile/build RasMol for Archlinux (from source)? ... unfortunately it will not compile --- but i will need it in half a year

#5 2003-08-16 15:44:01

Mork II

I study at Gotland University College (it's a small college on the biggest island in the Baltic Sea) to get a swedish masters degree (4 years, halfway thorugh), in what you could call green biology (focus on ecology plus a tinge of geology). I will probably end up doing enviromental ecology or conservation stuff. So molecular biology really isn't my field. Is this what you study? Where?

I have not even heard of RasMol before. Don't mind looking at it, unfortunatly I'm lousy at building packages... Come to think of it: Wouldn't it be nice to have a 'biologist-toolkit' based on free software? Some modeling tools, GIS, statistics... Currently we do statistics in exel and it isn't that effecive. It could really proove useful and might also get linux into the computer labs (my college runs Windows 2000 and Novell Netware). I think my 1337 googling skills will get exercised tonight...

This sentence ends the probably most off-topic post in this forums history tongue.

Board footer