You are not logged in.

#26 2009-06-03 02:18:26

bwh1969

Re: all uppercase ignored when writing to vfat volume in fstab

shortname=mixed in fstab solved my issue as far as character case so I can use a directory on another drive as my k9copy/k3b tmp directory. 

Running live has it's advantages (speed mostly) but the RAMdisk is as only as big as my RAM, limited to 2 GB on my current machine so this is why I need to do this -- actually I have to do it on my install of Ubuntu also because the partition only has 2.3 GB of space left.

Now whatever the app wants to call a directory, it is done with the appropriate case.

As far as reliability, and universal nature, there seems to be no real choice for a file system.  What really is limiting at times is the 4 GB barrier on fat32.  Lack of foresight there!

In some Utopia, there would be 1 file system that could be journaled by choice, not have a file size limit and just be bliss. 

I like Ext3 - I can't remember having data corruption beyond repair except for once, and that was because the drive died.

#27 2009-06-03 18:05:09

kgas

Re: all uppercase ignored when writing to vfat volume in fstab

yes fukawi2 , using bind option is helpful. For eg in my case an external drive with songs are made to bind with ~/Music directory as play list are created based on this directory.
Another case is using smb/cifs to access an external drive attached to another computer. (no desktop pc/all netbook/laptop wink ). If the particular external drive is not attached, then during boot , fstab part issues error.
Hope I clarified my part smile

Board footer