You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-03 16:17:32

VoodooSteve

[SOLVED] Add window manager to session list in KDM

I switched to Slim from KDM so that I could switch between KDE and dwm but I am unable to shutdown/restart from KDE. I tried changing "exec startkde" to "exec ck-launch-session startkde" in my .Xinitrc but this did not help. What needs to be changed?

Alternatively, is there a way to add dwm to the session list in KDM?

Last edited by VoodooSteve (2009-06-04 02:10:12)

#2 2009-06-03 20:22:15

Rasi
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Add window manager to session list in KDM

VoodooSteve wrote:

I switched to Slim from KDM so that I could switch between KDE and dwm but I am unable to shutdown/restart from KDE. I tried changing "exec startkde" to "exec ck-launch-session startkde" in my .Xinitrc but this did not help. What needs to be changed?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=162260
Seems there is not much interest...

Last edited by Rasi (2009-06-03 20:22:27)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2009-06-03 20:25:31

VoodooSteve

Rasi wrote:
VoodooSteve wrote:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=162260
Seems there is not much interest...

Thanks Rasi, so does anyone know how to add a window manager to the session list in kdm?

#4 2009-06-03 22:36:36

Xabre

Some WM packages place files so that kdm can't see them, orbetter it's not configured to see them.

As root open /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc , find line that begins with "SessionsDirs=" (no quotes) and rewrite it this way:

SessionsDirs=/usr/share/config/kdm/sessions,/usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions,/usr/share/xsessions,/etc/X11/sessions

Save and now kdm will be able to see many wm sessions that don't have their .desktop files in kdm sessions folder (like awesome. openbox, lxde...)

However there is a catch: arch dwm package doesn't contain dwm.desktop file, so you'll have to write it manually:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Dwm
Comment=Dynamic window manager
Exec=dwm
Icon=dwm
Type=XSession

Save it as dwm.desktop in any of above "SessionsDirs=" folders. wink

#5 2009-06-04 02:09:57

VoodooSteve

Xabre wrote:

Some WM packages place files so that kdm can't see them, orbetter it's not configured to see them.

As root open /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc , find line that begins with "SessionsDirs=" (no quotes) and rewrite it this way:

SessionsDirs=/usr/share/config/kdm/sessions,/usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions,/usr/share/xsessions,/etc/X11/sessions

Save and now kdm will be able to see many wm sessions that don't have their .desktop files in kdm sessions folder (like awesome. openbox, lxde...)

However there is a catch: arch dwm package doesn't contain dwm.desktop file, so you'll have to write it manually:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Dwm
Comment=Dynamic window manager
Exec=dwm
Icon=dwm
Type=XSession

Save it as dwm.desktop in any of above "SessionsDirs=" folders. wink

Thanks Xabre, worked perfectly! big_smile

Board footer