You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-04 16:16:11

ntowakbh

Copying xorg.conf from another distro

This may or may not be a silly question, but it's an honest one.

On my desktop, I just installed Arch Linux, and already have Debian on another partition.  Would it be safe to copy my xorg.conf from Debian, or would this cause issues on Arch?

I tried searching the net, but wasn't quite sure what to search for, so I ended up getting junk for search results.

Thanks in advance for any help given!

Many nights, I lay awake in bed,
Looking up at the stars.
Thinking of life, it's complexity,
And where in the world my ceiling could have gone this time.

#2 2009-06-04 16:43:12

kgas

Re: Copying xorg.conf from another distro

No Problem.Pl read Beginners Guide if you are new to Arch. By the By Welcome to Arch smile

#3 2009-06-04 16:53:53

ntowakbh

kgas wrote:

No Problem.Pl read Beginners Guide if you are new to Arch. By the By Welcome to Arch smile

Many thanks!  I've been looking for a new distro to try out for awhile.  I tried Arch last night from the CD and installed it this morning.  Pacman is amazing, I've only used basic functions and I already like it better than apt-get.  Likely to be sticking around Arch for awhile.

Many nights, I lay awake in bed,
Looking up at the stars.
Thinking of life, it's complexity,
And where in the world my ceiling could have gone this time.

#4 2009-06-04 16:57:10

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

ntowakbh wrote:

This may or may not be a silly question, but it's an honest one.

On my desktop, I just installed Arch Linux, and already have Debian on another partition.  Would it be safe to copy my xorg.conf from Debian, or would this cause issues on Arch?

I tried searching the net, but wasn't quite sure what to search for, so I ended up getting junk for search results.

Thanks in advance for any help given!

If both Xorg versions are identical, then the xorg.conf will work flawlessly, once all proper drivers and packages are installed..

#5 2009-06-05 08:31:51

rwd

One gotcha might be if you move from an install without evdev - hotplugging. evdev takes precedence over some xorg.conf settings unless disabled. With the current xorg autodetecting is improved such that in many cases you could even do without a xorg.conf file.

Board footer