You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-25 23:16:07

lmartin92

Bochs PKGBUILD, and other HEADER problems

I have made a PKGBUILD for bochs 2.4 based upon the old 2.3.7 one found in abs. The problem here is that no matter what you do to configure it it comes up with some

checking assert.h usability... no 
checking assert.h presence... yes                                                                                                                                               
configure: WARNING: assert.h: present but cannot be compiled                                                                                                                   
configure: WARNING: assert.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?                                                                                                       
configure: WARNING: assert.h: see the Autoconf documentation                                                                                                                   
configure: WARNING: assert.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"                                                                                                     
configure: WARNING: assert.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result                                                                                                         
configure: WARNING: assert.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence

for varius headers (replace assert.h with xmp.h, pthread.h, and a couple more).

my configure line is

./configure --prefix=/usr --without-wx --enable-cpu-level=6 --enable-4meg-pages --enable-3dnow \
              --with-x11 --enable-cdrom --enable-ne2000 --enable-pnic --enable-vbe --enable-fpu --enable-plugins \
              --enable-repeat-speedups --enable-trace-cache --enable-host-specific-asms --enable-all-optimizations \
              --enable-x86-64 --enable-mmx --enable-sse=3 --enable-aes --enable-sep --enable-vmx \
              --enable-vme --enable-debugger --enable-disasm --enable-iodebug --enable-pci --enable-pcidev --enable-usb --enable-usb-ohci \
              --enable-large-pages --enable-pae --enable-1g-pages --enable-global-pages --enable-smp --enable-apic

I'm on x86_64.

My real question, now, dealing with all the above, is, is what do I need to install to fix this issue?

I know that it is not only an issue with this, but with many more libraries and applications I'm trying to build. Most of you will have never heard of The D Programming Language, Tango (it's De Facto Standard Library), or LDC (now the best compiler for x86_64). LDC, is not the problem, I can not get Tango to compile due to some pthread.h stuff similar to above for bochs. So this is not just an issue with bochs, it's an issue with some other stuff that needs to be built too. I'm trying to build bochs because I need some of that extra functionality (especially debug). I'm also wondering does anyone else need something from bochs, newer version, more of the configure options enabled? I will submit my bochs PKGBUILD to AUR if it every works and gets finished.

#2 2009-05-26 00:25:31

karol
Archivist

Re: Bochs PKGBUILD, and other HEADER problems

It's just a wild guess, but maybe it's related.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 30#p558730
You know, the toolchain is quite new and some things may not compile as usual.

#3 2009-05-26 02:43:23

lmartin92

Ok, thanks. I don't see how this is the problem though. I know that it will finish configuring correctly. then when I make, I'm given a handful of errors.

../config.h:423:4: error: #error "sizeof (unsigned char) != 1"   

That is one of them ^^. I will say that I have not expiremented in the C++ language much. I have used C (though not much recently (6 months back maybe)). That error above looks like more than a include this problem. I really don't want to have to patch up the sources just to make it work. I have tried to use the CVS of it and it pretty much has the same errors.

#4 2009-05-26 02:52:03

karol
Archivist

Have you tried downgrading?
[url]http://archlinux.alouche.net/?pkgName=gcc&submit=Search+Packages&arch[]=i686&plog[]=core[/url]
Edit: now that's a funny error. I'll leave it as is.

http://archlinux.alouche.net/?pkgName=gcc

Edit 2: typos.

Last edited by karol (2009-05-26 15:13:10)

#5 2009-05-26 11:43:11

lmartin92

Tried it, downgraded both my gcc and my gcc-lib. I know it compiles with version 4.3 of gcc because I've done it on another computer under Ubuntu.

I still get the same WARNING's from configure and the same errors from make.

#6 2009-05-26 15:14:39

karol
Archivist

What version of gmp etc. worked on Ubuntu? Can you try that setup on Arch?

#7 2009-05-26 20:15:59

lmartin92

Oh god, that's a lot of stuff to check up against... One thing is that it's not just a couple of headers... it's a lot of them giving the warning, some from the C library and some from the X library. This just seems to me like a big break down of the build process on my machine, before I'd go to such trouble I'd like for someone to test to see if it will build on there system (that has and uses gcc 4.4 and the latest dev libs). I am not a person who claims such experience. This will be a large adventure. I would greatly appreciate if someone would try to build bochs on their machine and let me know if it actually works, if it doesn't, that means my machine is not the only troubled one. If theirs does work, then it saves me trouble by realizing it is my machine that is the problem, and that before I can worry about bochs, I need to fix it to actually work period.

#8 2009-05-27 03:15:16

lmartin92

#error "sizeof (unsigned char) != 1"  <-- that's a gcc error, not a library error. I would have to fix gcc before I could even begin thinking about making the rest work.So should this be put somewhere to let people know of this gcc error, or is there someone who has a fix for it that I should know of? I'm not the one who would be trying to fix gcc, I can break my whole system that way, but I'm more than happy to let someone who is supposed to fix this know.

#9 2009-05-28 11:42:32

lmartin92

Ok, I have managed to reinstall my system (took me a day because my phone internet was unavailable). I no longer have the gcc errors, and not it will install. This only works, however, if I disable iodebug, (remove --enable-iodebug from the command line). Now I will look into making it into an AUR package. Thanks for your help.

#10 2009-06-06 14:04:20

lmartin92

I have posted the bochs pkgbuild in AUR. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=27032

Board footer