You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-07 03:17:04

samwise
Website

Audacity randomly stops recording after a few seconds

I've been trying to record a few things with audacity, which has generally worked pretty well for me in the past.

However, whenever I try to record a second track, it only records for a second or so after I hit the record button, and then randomly stops, although the cursor keeps on moving forwards and the meter keeps showing the input.

PKlugf.png

I haven't been able to find any reason why it would be doing this, and it is EXTREMELY fustrating. It has also done this when I tried to record for the first time in a new project, but I switched a few settings on and off again and it worked for some reason. Can anyone offer any help?

"He was perfect except for the fact that he was an engineer"

#2 2009-02-07 10:42:23

samwise
Website

Re: Audacity randomly stops recording after a few seconds

I have made a post on the Audacity forums if anyone else has this problem

"He was perfect except for the fact that he was an engineer"

#3 2009-03-01 00:13:23

sullivanva

I am having same issue.  I saw your post on audacity, and saw no replies.  Did you find a solution?

Edit

I compiled the CVS version, and it no longer stops after a couple of seconds.  Unfortunately, the playback speed is now messed up.  Everything sounds like chipmunks.

Last edited by sullivanva (2009-03-01 02:56:40)

--HAPS

#4 2009-06-06 18:51:40

WyoPBS
Website

Is this still a problem for anyone?  I came here looking for help and found more questions, so I started randomly playing with the input settings.  I have an Ensoniq (es1371).  Choosing OSS/DSP gave me an error trying to read the device; choosing hw0:0 or 0:1 had it stop recording at just over 0.6 seconds; turning software playthrough on or off had no effect.  What finally worked was "ALSA:Default" and use alsamixer to control the recording source.

At the risk of being branded a linux hater, I should mention that the same hardware under Windows "just works" without any changes needed in the input settings on my part.  I fired up Windows 7 in a vmware window - so not only did the Windows environment work correctly out of the box, that was with the additional layer of alsa -> vmware -> windows.

Last edited by WyoPBS (2009-06-06 18:51:54)

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

#5 2009-06-06 22:52:14

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Well don't hate the whole linux, I guess most probably you should save your hate for alsa .... it seems to cause a few nasty problems these days.

On the notebook I'm using now, alsa worked but not very well (bad recording quality, bad playback quality, the well known problem of one app hijacking the sound card), made the switch to OSS and now I'm happy, give both a try then pick the one that works better for you.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer