You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-11 05:58:25

peak_performance

Broke my sound, can't find soundcard now? [SOLVED]

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with my sound and it's escalated to the level where I'm not sure if my soundcard is even detected.

The story so far: A few months ago I invested in a Xonar DX sound card and some days ago tried to make it work in an existing Arch installation. I wasn't sure precisely what to do, so I followed the installation guide here (http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. … e-virtuoso) to the letter and, hey, it worked so I was happy. I hadn't uninstalled my previous ALSA config or anything like that though, just wanted to get it working really.

Yesterday, I assume after the latest kernel update, the DX stopped working but my integrated Realtek still worked. Today I tried fixing it by first following those steps again, but that resulted in no sound card working. So I uninstalled everything ('make uninstall' in the src folders for the custom installed drivers, 'pacman -Rd' for alsa-lib, alsa-utils and alsa-oss, 'd' so I woulnd't have to uninstall every library depending on ALSA) and started from the beginning. Now I can't even get my integrated card working again.

lsmod|grep '^snd'
outputs nothing.

/dev/snd/
doesn't exist.

modprobe snd-virtuoso
gives "No such file or directory"

So, what should I do next? Will be grateful for any help I can get.

Thanks!
Petter Johansson

Last edited by peak_performance (2009-05-11 21:06:55)

#2 2009-05-11 11:51:13

sjovan

Re: Broke my sound, can't find soundcard now? [SOLVED]

Se if the soundcard is listen with lspci

#3 2009-05-11 17:18:18

peak_performance

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

and

04:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]

seem to be audio related. The first one should be the integrated and the second could be the Xonar, though I'm not very sure.

#4 2009-05-11 21:06:42

peak_performance

Nevermind, solved it by reinstalling the kernel and even got my new sound card to work without compiling custom drivers big_smile Just by installing asoundconf from AUR and configuring it to prefer my DX instead of the integrated. Thinking about updating the wiki on this front, since the ALSA article right now doesn't mention anything about multiple sound cards.

Is there any other easy way to select sound card?

#5 2009-06-07 15:16:42

mattsn0w

can you post output of `amixer` on your system? I have the same sound card but do not get any output from the card. I can hear a little tick when I mute/unmute some of the analog channels, but never get audio out. I did have this card working under Debian after manually compiling alsa-driver-1.0.18a.

The modules all load correctly and I can adjust volumes all day long but it's just not working. sad

Board footer