You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-06 16:13:17

Primoz

[Solved] External HD unmounts by itself for no apparent reason

I've already posted about my problems with external hard-drive (My Passport).
But now the problem became even stranger...
I've made a work around for the first problem, but now (as of started today) I've got a new bigger problem.
I've was copying a large folder (cca 20GB) to it and it "unmounted" during the process. It just became unavailable and trying to get its uuid by blkid showed nothing...
Now I'm guessing it's something with a disk.
BTW it happend just now as I was writing this post and trying to "re-mount" it I've got this error:

ntfs-3g-mount: failed to access mountpoint /mnt/zundisk: Input/output error

And first time I've mounted it I've got the error about it was wrongly unmounted the last time.

PS:
I've lend it to a friend for whom I suspect that has unmounted it wrongly under XP...

Edit:
I've edited title to give more info.
Sorry.

Last edited by Primoz (2009-06-07 15:50:09)

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#2 2009-06-07 15:17:42

kludge

Re: [Solved] External HD unmounts by itself for no apparent reason

does it always disconnect?  can you get it to fail reliably on a certain condition?

i had that going on with my usb player, and it turned out to be bad usb cable.

try keeping a terminal open with 'sudo tail -f /var/log/everything.log' running.  when the drive disconnects, check the error messages around it.  if you have a plethora of input/output errors, then there's probably a physical problem.  in particular look for a usb disconnect and what was going on around it.

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#3 2009-06-07 15:49:36

Primoz

Re: [Solved] External HD unmounts by itself for no apparent reason

kludge wrote:

does it always disconnect?  can you get it to fail reliably on a certain condition?

i had that going on with my usb player, and it turned out to be bad usb cable.

try keeping a terminal open with 'sudo tail -f /var/log/everything.log' running.  when the drive disconnects, check the error messages around it.  if you have a plethora of input/output errors, then there's probably a physical problem.  in particular look for a usb disconnect and what was going on around it.

It doesn't it disconects only on Linux. I think that it was due to bad unmounting under Windows. I've reformatted it and now everything works!
I can even normally mount it without any of the hassle in fstab etc...

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

Board footer