You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-07 12:20:39

madalu

[SOLVED] Partition recommendations on dual boot Macbook

I'm planning to install Arch on a Macbook (dual-booting OS X and Arch). I've read the wiki guide thoroughly and am aware of the GPT partitioning issues:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Macbook

In a dual-boot environment, is it worth it to create a bunch of partitions for the Arch install (/boot, /, /var, /home, and swap)? Or would I be better off sticking with just one big Arch partition and a swapfile?

On a normal install where arch is the only OS, I would prefer separate partitions, but somehow one big partition for Arch seems cleaner and easier in a dual-boot  environment.

Obviously, the value of any given partitioning scheme is in the eye of the beholder. Still, I'd be eager to hear any recommendations.

Last edited by madalu (2009-06-07 23:40:16)

#2 2009-06-07 14:34:43

Peasantoid
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Partition recommendations on dual boot Macbook

It really depends on which one you like more. wink I use Arch exclusively, so it gets most of my HD. Only reason I keep OS X around is because of rEFIt and other things I can't do without it. (Oh, and you're probably going to want the bless utility, too.)

Also: Keep the EFI partition at the beginning of your drive. (The FAT one.) OS X might not work well without it and you won't be able to install firmware updates.

Last edited by Peasantoid (2009-06-07 14:35:03)

#3 2009-06-07 14:54:38

madalu

Peasantoid wrote:

It really depends on which one you like more. wink

Well, there's little question of that. Arch wins hands down.

I need to keep the machine dual boot because others in my family use OS X on it.

I use Arch exclusively, so it gets most of my HD. Only reason I keep OS X around is because of rEFIt and other things I can't do without it. (Oh, and you're probably going to want the bless utility, too.)

Also: Keep the EFI partition at the beginning of your drive. (The FAT one.) OS X might not work well without it and you won't be able to install firmware updates.

So I take it then that you divide your arch install into multiple partitions?

#4 2009-06-07 16:43:16

tom5760
Website

I dual-boot my Macbook, half the drive for OSX and half for Arch.  I simply use one large partition for Arch and use a swapfile.  It all seems to work just fine for me.

#5 2009-06-07 17:22:26

Peasantoid
Website

madalu wrote:

So I take it then that you divide your arch install into multiple partitions?

No, just one big partition and a 512 MB swapfile.

#6 2009-06-07 23:40:02

madalu

Thanks so much for the helpful responses here. One big partition with a swapfile it is.

Board footer