You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-08 12:47:39

Meikj

Configuration files blank...

Hi. I downloaded the latest release of Arch Linux and tested it in a virtual machine (VirtualBox 2.2.4). Everything goes great until I reach the configuration part. It doesn't ask me for auto configuration and as a result I'm left with blank files. Have I done something wrong? What should I do?

#2 2009-06-08 12:58:48

ralvez
Website

Re: Configuration files blank...

Usually, if you follow the order of configuration, there should be something in all the config files and you modify it to suit your system. So, unless you modify the basic configs. your system has at the end a bunch of config files that may not be representative at all of your system... or you mean to say that all configs are literally blank?

R.

#3 2009-06-08 13:57:54

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Meikj wrote:

Hi. I downloaded the latest release of Arch Linux and tested it in a virtual machine (VirtualBox 2.2.4). Everything goes great until I reach the configuration part. It doesn't ask me for auto configuration and as a result I'm left with blank files. Have I done something wrong? What should I do?

Most likely an error either during the partion setup, or more probably, during the package install step. Check vc/7 for errors.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2009-06-08 14:07:06

Meikj

Completely blank. I followed the installation steps in order and everything went fine. I read the beginners guide on the wiki and it said I should be prompted with a message box asking if I want my hardware auto configured and it will prompt me with more asking questions. I didn't get prompted with anything apart from which text editor to use.

I will check for errors anyway.

#5 2009-06-08 14:19:51

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Meikj wrote:

I should be prompted with a message box asking if I want my hardware auto configured and it will prompt me with more asking questions. I didn't get prompted with anything apart from which text editor to use.

That is old info, the autoconfigure was removed fromthe latest install. (because it isn't really needed anymore).  But, anyway, empty config files are almost always caused by an error during the package install step, and when it isn't, usually due to some error during partion/fs setup.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2009-06-08 15:05:59

Meikj

I reinstalled and waited at the computer this time during the package installation process. It turns out the installation failed due to 'coreutils' being invalid or corrupt. I'll redownload the ISO and try again. Thanks for the help!

#7 2009-06-08 15:37:23

iza

Make sure to check the checksums on the image file; SHA1 MD5

\_\__     __/_/ 
       (oo) ______
       (__)\           )\
              ||‾‾‾‾\|

Board footer