You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-17 03:09:25

jlowell

foo, schmoo

I'm trying to get nano on my box so I can use an editor I'm used to. Nothing like chewing up files and having to throw them away.

Anyway, the user documentation calls for the following format when adding a package:

pacman -A foo.pkg.tar.gz

I enter pacman -A nano.1.2.2-1.tar.gz and get back the "No such file or directory" message. What am I misunderstanding here?

jlowell

#2 2003-08-17 04:19:33

red_over_blue

Re: foo, schmoo

jlowell wrote:

I'm trying to get nano on my box so I can use an editor I'm used to. Nothing like chewing up files and having to throw them away.

Anyway, the user documentation calls for the following format when adding a package:

pacman -A foo.pkg.tar.gz

I enter pacman -A nano.1.2.2-1.tar.gz and get back the "No such file or directory" message. What am I misunderstanding here?

jlowell

That is if you create your own package using makepkg and a custom made PKGBUILD file, or you downloaded a package from incoming.  In your case, it is looking for that file in your working directory on the local drive.

If you want to install a program from the online repositories, you can do the following:

pacman -S nano

or

pacman -Sy nano

The latter one will also sync your db with the latest packages and make sure you get the most current info.   Hope this helps!

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#3 2003-08-17 05:40:47

netkrash

I think he's trying to add a pkg from the current directory.

I really don't know why it gave you the Not Found error... perhaps isn't the correct filename? i now it's stupid but.. shit hapens!

GNU/Linux: Share & Enjoy!

#4 2003-08-17 06:10:26

Jagged

if thats the file your trying to install... you should unzip it (preferably somewhere like /usr/abs/local) and inside the tarball should be a .pkg.tar.gz

Nkawtg...n!

#5 2003-08-17 06:18:56

jlowell

Hi red_over_blue, netkrash & Jagged,

Well, I used pacman -Sy nano and it installed alright. But I think at the same time I learned why I didn't get the package the other way which was pacman -A nano.1.2.2-1.tar.gz. I misunderstood the syntax being used in the user docs which was given as pacman -A foo.pkg.tar.gz. I took the "pkg" part of it as referring to the version number and that was wrong. Looking at the package as it was installed using red_over_blue's approach, it was described as nano-1.2.2-1.pkg.tar.gz and it dawned on me why I got the "No such file or directory" message. What's interesting about this matter is that I likely would have gotten nano on using pacman -A nano-1.2.2-1.pkg.tar.gz. But according to the user docs, the difference between the two options concerns dependency correcting which makes the -Sy option the better choice, clearly.

Thanks to all of you.

jlowell

#6 2003-08-17 07:12:15

sarah31
Website

well generally i upgrade every two or three days with:

pacman -Syu

if i install anyhting between my upgrade days i usually just install via:

pacman -S <pkgname>

(with the above you can of course leave out the version and rel number and the ".pkg.tar.gz")

this solves all dependencies and unless you get a sync error then the "-S" option is all you normally need.

as mentioned ealier the "-A" option "manually installs a package with out dependency solving. i usually only use this when making or testing packages. i use the a option to install the package directly from my working folder.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer