You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-17 01:41:53

jlowell

Updating Module Dependencies?

Well, finally getting an opportunity to get back to work on my recent Arch installation. There is just one nagging question concerning the boot process. The distro is quick as lightning and clean, things I appreciate, but as the items flash by during boot, near the end I see:

Updating Module Dependencies        [FAILED]

It disfigures what would otherwise be a perfectly clean start. If it's helpful, I can tell you that I configured my kernel according to a long standing preference to build items in rather that to make modules of them. Unless I missed something I doubt that there's one module selected anywhere. Now I'm not sure whether this practice may be contributing to the message I'm getting about module dependencies, but clearly something's not working the way it should. I'd like to get it fixed. Your help is solicited.

jlowell

#2 2003-08-17 01:59:24

contrasutra

Re: Updating Module Dependencies?

Try running (as root): depmod -a

It works when I get that error.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#3 2003-08-17 03:32:51

jlowell

Hi contrasutra!

I just ran

depmod -a

and get the following output:

depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.21/modules.dep for writing

So I ran

ls -la /lib/modules

only to discover that there is no such entry as 2.4.21. Doesn't all this  have something to do with the fact that I build in rather than compile as modules? Seems to me that the /lib/modules/2.4.21 isn't there but that the system looks for it at boot and reports a failure. What do I need to edit to take this failure off the screen. I mean wouldn't the kernel have to create this file?

Thanks for the prompt response.

jlowell

#4 2003-08-17 05:20:34

sarah31
Website

very odd. the kernel package should have indeed created this directory. i suggest that you run:

pacman -Sy <preferred kernel package>

and see if that cures this problem. it sounds as though your kernel install/package was corrupted somehow.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-08-17 06:16:37

Jagged

you said you buist in all your options with no modules... of course you're not going to have /lib/modules/2.4.21 because you had no need to make modules modules_install.  If your kernel works fine with no modules, comment out lines 97-104 in /etc/rc.sysinit (those should be the area where depmod is run)

thats weird... never seen anyone running a kernel with no modules.  any performance difference, or affect in total memory taken up by the kernel?

Nkawtg...n!

#6 2003-08-17 06:56:28

jlowell

Hello Sarah, Hello Jagged!

Had a feeling that the problem developed because of the way I typically configure a kernel. Oddly, it is precisely because of the reverse of this type of problem that I started building everything in. Some boot scripts wouldn't pick up module configurations I'd set and would present very distracting error messages. I found that if I built things in, the problems would largely go away. Since there was no pre-existing passion on my part about the build-in vs. module debate, it was sufficient for me to avoid the problems. Life's hard enough, eh?

As to performance, Jagged, I can't say that I've experienced any meaningful performance hit doing things this way. Part of that may be explained because I configure minimally anyway, no USB, no RAID, that kind of thing. And I've got three very quick workstations here, one with an 850E Intel board, a 2.26 Ghz P4 and PC 1200 RDRAM, so the hardware might disguise some actual performance loss even to the most discerning eye.

Thanks for the help with the edit, that's exactly what I guessed I'd need but didn't know where to look.

Regards to you both.

jlowell

Board footer