You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-11 01:33:14

generic_

[SOLVED]Help with sudoers file?

I haveing alot of trouble with my sudoers file. I would like to run the utility rkhunter as a cron job. But it must be run as root. So i wont to give myself the privledge to use it without a passwd. But when i us the line "%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rkhunter" it does not work. Out of curiosity i put the ALL parameter and that did not work either o,0 Either something has gone very wrong or Im in need of a lesson in sudo'ing. Can someone help? btw i looked at tutorials on the web and from what i can see im doing everything right. and before you suggest i checked that rkhunter is in /usr/bin/. here is my sudoers file.

EDIT: removed the comment in the first line i did not have that there when i ran it.

# sudoers file.
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
# Failure to use 'visudo' may result in syntax or file permission errors
# that prevent sudo from running.
#
# See the sudoers man page for the details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification
# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults specification

# Runas alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
generic ALL=(ALL) ALL
# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
# %wheel    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Same thing without a password
#%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

# Samples
# %users  ALL=/sbin/mount /cdrom,/sbin/umount /cdrom
# %users  localhost=/sbin/shutdown -h now

Last edited by generic_ (2009-06-11 13:38:41)

I'm just lost n00b!

#2 2009-06-11 01:39:57

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Help with sudoers file?

generic_ wrote:

But when i us the line "#%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rkhunter" it does not work.

Unless you made the same typo 3 times, you need to remove "#" from the corresponding lines.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2009-06-11 03:25:38

generic_

No i did not make a typo i commented the line when it did not work just in case. Thats not really a safe thing to have sitting around. I had it uncommented when I originally tried it both times.

I'm just lost n00b!

#4 2009-06-11 09:31:11

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I only asked because you had included the hash symbol in the quoted line.

Anyway, try this:

%wheel ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rkhunter

If it needs to be run as root, why don't you just add it to root's crontab or create a script in /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,etc}? Why do you need to run it with sudo?

#5 2009-06-11 11:02:53

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Are you sure rkhunter is in /usr/bin and not /usr/sbin, for that matter?

I can't check, no Linux systems within reach ATM.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2009-06-11 11:22:17

generic_

rkhunter is not is /usr/sbin i checked specifically for that before i tried doing it in sudo. Its output is

bash:/usr/bin/rkhunter: Permission Denied

I tried your suggestion xyne with no luck. I double checked and im in the wheel group. The problem is, it is important I see the output the of rkhunter, if i didn't it would be pointless, and annoying to check the log. Also rkhunter has breaks in its output that require me to press enter to continue. So it will never finish if i dont see it. My plan is to have pop up in a terminal in front of me do its job, finish, and thats it. I was thinking I can use a simple shell script with the command. "urxvt -e rkhunter -c" Then run that shell script as a cron job. Can I get the results I want in the root crontab? Im also new to cron as well. Ive been using linux for while and I have little experience with both of these programs. Its time to learn them.

Thanks for your effort so though,

Last edited by generic_ (2009-06-11 11:35:41)

I'm just lost n00b!

#7 2009-06-11 12:02:53

klixon

Can you post the sudoers file that doesn't work, excactly as you're trying to use it?
Thing to keep in mind: NOPASSWD lines always have to come last, or the will be overruled by following lines that don't have "NOPASSWD" in them

PS: You did relog after changing the file?

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#8 2009-06-11 13:12:08

ataraxia

Just a sanity check, you actually ran "sudo /usr/bin/rkhunter", right? You have to run your app inside sudo to get any sudo rights to be active.

#9 2009-06-11 13:37:51

generic_

@ataraxia: Thankyou!! When i type in the full path with sudo it works! But for some reason if I type sudo rkhunter it does not? Anyway problem solved for now!! big_smile Thanks again this was buggin me!

I'm just lost n00b!

#10 2009-06-11 14:35:42

ataraxia

sudo doesn't interpret the meaning of the things you configure it to do. (That is, it doesn't know or care that your path will find /usr/bin/rkhunter when you type "rkhunter".) It allows you to run exactly what it says in the sudoers file, typed literally. (There are some wildcards available, but that's beyond this case.)

#11 2009-06-11 14:44:53

brisbin33
Website

as an outsider coming into this late... wouldn't it've been much simpler to just add the rkhunter to root's crontab? big_smile

#12 2009-06-11 15:14:52

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

brisbin33 wrote:

as an outsider coming into this late... wouldn't it've been much simpler to just add the rkhunter to root's crontab? big_smile

Scroll up a bit to find the answer to that question (which I also asked). wink

Board footer