You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-14 12:01:35

Greycloack

Dsdt form acpi.sf.net

I have a gateway 200x and there's a pre-made dsdt table in acpi.sf.net.

I read throught the Wiki and some tuturials on the net and I'm afraid I don't understand somethings :

1) Do I need to recompile my kernel to use it or can I simply remove the old dsdt and place the new one instead?
2) Do I need to build it using the iasl compiler (or whatever it's called) or Can I simply place the dsdt file?

this is the dsdt :
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/view.php?id=140

Thanks in advance.

#2 2004-12-14 13:09:09

cstorm

Re: Dsdt form acpi.sf.net

Greycloack wrote:

1) Do I need to recompile my kernel to use it or can I simply remove the old dsdt and place the new one instead?

you have to recompile your kernel (if it's patched with the initrd patch, then you can put the dsdt into an initrd and append it to your kernel-line in your bootloader). in either case the kernel must be aware of the new dsdt to replace the original one from the bios.

Greycloack wrote:

2) Do I need to build it using the iasl compiler (or whatever it's called) or Can I simply place the dsdt file?

you have to make a binary of it i.e. compile it

#3 2004-12-19 12:52:25

tezem
Website

You have to recompile the kernel but must not patch the kernel for this. There is an option in the kernel where you can specify the dsdt file. You can find it under the ACPI section. It's possible that you can't see it because some of the dependencies are not fullfilled so you should enable shadowed Options to see it and it's deps to enable it. Simplest way would be to copy the dsdt header file into the include directory of the kernel source. You have to write the name of this file into your Kernel Option because the path of the option is relative to the include dir.
To get the header file out of this asl file you have to use iasl.
download iasl from  http://www.intel.com/technology/IAPC/acpi/downloads.htm and execute './iasl -tc dsdt.dsl' where the dsdt.dsl is your downloaded code from the acpi site. Then you have to put the dsdt.hex file created by iasl into the include dir and add this filename into the kernel Option ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT_FILE.

#4 2004-12-19 17:34:21

cstorm

tezem wrote:

You have to recompile the kernel but must not patch the kernel for this.

right, if you want your table compiled in. if you like flexibility, patch it with the initrd patch (i.e. to test some dsdt's without recompiling every time)

#5 2004-12-28 01:58:50

iphitus
Forum Fellow

You do not need to patch the kernel for an initrd, this support is already included, you just have to enable it.

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

#6 2004-12-28 21:43:48

Greycloack

sorry for my ignorance but...
"CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y"

how do I use this line?

Board footer