You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-14 03:45:34

aris002

extend /var/cache/pacman/pkg into additional HDD or?

Hi, everyone!
I haven't used Arch for a while (fighting M$ at work...etc.)  and when started upgrading - pacman run out of space on my HDD (2.4 Gb). Whould it be reasonable to "extend" /var/cache/pacman/pkg (that's the place?)  into additional HDD or something?
(pacman --clean didn't help)
Thanx in advance.
P.S. BTW, Arch is really nicely progressing in terms of documentation and community!
Arijus

#2 2004-12-14 04:06:34

Win

Re: extend /var/cache/pacman/pkg into additional HDD or?

Hi aris002.

As you've discovered, you can easily build up a large number of packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg. You can clear this directory in a safe and appropriate fashion as follows, as root or using sudo:

pacman -Scc

Regards,

Win

#3 2004-12-14 07:19:17

IceRAM
Website

I used to symlink "/var/cache/pacman/pkg" to a folder on another bigger partition when I ran out of space.

pacman -Sc
> cleans all the duplicates, leaving you the lastest packages

pacman -Scc
> removes all the packages in cache

#4 2004-12-14 14:47:35

aris002

Thanks guys for your replies.
I want to explain more clearly the situation I have:

1.When pacman ran out of space I cancelled it (with Ctrl-X, I think...). As I understand the new loaded packages were not installed then. Is that correct?
(Then, if I delete them... I spent 2 hours downloading with broadband... And I think pacman should say something about free space and stop itself in such situation...)

2.Is it worth installing them one-by-one and then deleting? But anyway, I will not gain much space, will I? (I think the anwer is "no")

3.So I need an extra HDD or bigger one. (I have a few of them with different systems). But according to my knowledge you can speed up your system by having more than one HDD. Is that correct with Arch?

4.If 3=yes, then howto do it the best way? ( I mean to spread directories etc. ...)

5. And because I'm considering udev, maybe I should do it first?

Regards.

#5 2004-12-14 17:30:17

Winkie

aris002 wrote:

1.When pacman ran out of space I cancelled it (with Ctrl-X, I think...). As I understand the new loaded packages were not installed then. Is that correct?

Ctrl + C, yes that will kill the pacman process.

2.Is it worth installing them one-by-one and then deleting? But anyway, I will not gain much space, will I? (I think the anwer is "no")

Exactly how much space do you have on this partition?

3.So I need an extra HDD or bigger one. (I have a few of them with different systems). But according to my knowledge you can speed up your system by having more than one HDD. Is that correct with Arch?

You can do software raid0, but it requires both a format, and a 0.7 beta ISO. You could also have used LVM which allows you to span partitions across disks.

4.If 3=yes, then howto do it the best way? ( I mean to spread directories etc. ...)

http://sources.redhat.com/lvm2/

5. And because I'm considering udev, maybe I should do it first?

Shouldn't make too much difference, don't init s with udev though, lots of links vanish which may be needed.

#6 2004-12-14 20:48:47

aris002

Thank you Winkie for one more idea. It looks a bit more difficult than I thought. I have 2.4Gb HDD (hda1-grub, hda2-swap, hda3-Arch. I see this from KNOPPIX now) . I know I can download ISO and install everything on a new bigger disk. But... maybe I can learn and gain something of this... Ok, I'm going to study LVM & LVM2

#7 2004-12-14 20:58:38

xerxes2
Website

you could do it with separately upgrades of the big packages and clean  your cache afterwards,

# pacman -S xorg
# pacman -Scc

and so forth,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

Board footer