You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-14 15:46:05

ovihc

SVGATextMode hell!

I want to improve my arch linux even more by enhancing the fonts in the text console (runlevel 3, i think). there is a program called SVGATextMode that allows you to change the fonts to the textconsole. a long time ago i tried it with an old ibm thinkpad PI with an S3 card. NOW i have an HP with an ATI IGP 320M.
I tried guessing forever through the Clocks settings on the TextConfig file. The file is very much similar to the XF86Config file. Except that now i need to choose exactly the right settings. I've searched for the ati 320M igp clock settings without any solution. I've also tried numerous tries with different fonts (i.e. 80x25), and when I activate SVGATextmode, I get messed up lines and everything is unreadable. I'm forced to reboot the system. Has anyone had experience with this and can help me?

#2 2004-12-14 15:50:50

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: SVGATextMode hell!

if you just change the vga resolution, the existing fonts look fine... this seems very messy and the gain you will get may not be worth it

#3 2004-12-14 16:00:08

ovihc

i currently have lilo to boot at vga=0x316, which is equivalent to a 1024x... resolution. I wanted to improve that even more.

are you suggesting another method of changing what i currently have? i use emacs now a lot, and i just wish i had more space in my console.

#4 2004-12-14 16:12:19

FUBAR
Website

If you just want to change the font your terminals use, edit your /etc/rc.conf file, there's a line that says "CONSOLEFONT=".

[edit]
Check /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts for available fonts. Just put the filename after "CONSOLEFONT=", no need for the absolute path I believe.
[/edit]

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

Board footer