You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-11 19:56:29

CaptainKirk

App Crashing Bug? [WAS: Thunderbird Bug?]

I saw this bug on the default Thunderbird in the latest Ubuntu last week. I am not 100% sure if I saw it in the default Thunderbird in Debian Stable (5.0) which I later used. I am now using Thunderbird version 2.0.0.21 (20090319) on Arch and I just found the same bug. sad

The problem is I can't always reproduce it. But this seems to work now to reproduce:

0. Copy this line into your buffer with Ctrl-C:
$city = $_REQUEST['city'];
1. Close Thunderbirdt and all open message windows
2. Launch Thunderbird
3. Open a new message
4. Click the mouse in the Body section
5. Press Ctrl-V

On my system, this crashes Thunderbird.

Also copy/pasting this text has crashed it:
e@aol.com
but not every time.

Now that I played with it, the first text doesn't always crash it either. In short, however, copying and pasting PHP code has crashed Thunderbird for me numerous times.

Before I post this to the appropriate place, can someone at least confirm that they also see this issue?

Last edited by CaptainKirk (2009-06-13 19:07:59)

#2 2009-06-11 20:32:25

Ramses de Norre

Re: App Crashing Bug? [WAS: Thunderbird Bug?]

FWIW Thunderbird3 doesn't crash.

#3 2009-06-12 13:50:13

broch
Banned

tried this (both lines: $city = $_REQUEST['city']; or e@aol.com) three times and was unsuccesful: no crash
maybe this is related to the specific config, add-ons

I have
thunderbird 2.0.0.21-1 (i686)

Last edited by broch (2009-06-12 13:51:16)

#4 2009-06-13 19:18:12

CaptainKirk

Hmmm. Very interesting. I presently have no addons on my Thunderbird. In Ubuntu I did. The truth is that once in Ubuntu even Firefox crashed--I had it open to a page with a TinyMCE (rich text) textarea and I copied and pasted something in there and Firefox crashed. When I say "crash" I mean the app just dies and disappears.

In my present Arch there is another problem--if I right click on my "keyboard layouts" Xfce panel addon item and click on "About" then that addon crashes and disappears.

Also when I install an app on Wine IIRC it messes up my "other" menu in the Xfce main menu. I forget if it's that the new app doesn't appear or that all the old apps that were there don't appear--whatever it is, when I reboot it works again and all apps are there.

I wonder if these quirks are due to something specific on my hardware/install. Not sure what else it could be.

Board footer