You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-14 18:42:45

PunkRawkSucks
Website

KDE has destroyed my KDE environment

I updated my installation today, which included KDE 3.3.2-1 packages. Now my KDE environment is completely hosed.

Half my applets don't work properly or at all. My K Menu is completely devoid of any applications. When I run KControl, the left hand window is completely blank, and I can't open the "control panels" for other K applications like Konq.

In short, I'm screwed.

Mark

#2 2004-12-14 19:37:55

IceRAM
Website

Re: KDE has destroyed my KDE environment

Weird.. what else did you upgrade together with KDE?

As I see it, it might be a problem updating shared libraries (probably some links between shared libraries are not loaded).

This is my /etc/ld.so.conf

#
# /etc/ld.so.conf
#

/usr/X11R6/lib

# End of file
/opt/qt/lib
/opt/gnome/lib
#/opt/xfce4/lib
/opt/kde/lib

/opt/gecko-sdk/lib
/opt/gecko-sdk/bin

Run "ldconfig" (not sure about this) after you make changes to that file, or restart to make sure the settings are loaded.

You might also want to check permissions. One idea would be to start some KDE apps in konsole (or any other terminal) and check the output. It will show up some missing libraries or something. If you have the libraries installed but they are not visible, than you've got the shared libraries issue which should get solved by altering the above file as I said.

Another try would be to reinstall Qt (I had some problems with some kde apps because I forgot to upgrade Qt once) - this shouldn't be an issue because Qt is pretty old in the repos.

Something's wrong in your system, because nobody reported such an issue with KDE. The idea is that, even if you solve the shared libraries thing, the settings will still be lost, because KDE rewrites configs on exit AFAIK.

#3 2004-12-15 01:04:10

PunkRawkSucks
Website

I should have been more clear. This was a clean installation. I've been trying out a few differant distros. I had been running Arch for a few months, then tried a few others. Yesterday I reinstalled Arch and after doing an initial 'pacman -Syu' I did 'pacman -S kde' and let it run. My biggest problems right now are that kontact keeps crashing and I cannot run kconfig. I mean, kconfig runs, but the left panel where the menu is supposed to be is just a blank white window.

I thought maybe it had to do with my .kde* settings so I moved them out of the way and tried again ... same result.

I did not have these problems with any version of KDE before 3.3.2.

Mark

#4 2004-12-15 01:27:10

PunkRawkSucks
Website

Here is a snapshot of my K menu and kcontrol (if the snapshot is not visible it's because my ISP blows chunks and can't keep their network up for more than 24 hours):

snapshot1.png

When I ran kcontrol from a konsole, I got "kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/" in the konsole window.

Mark

#5 2004-12-15 04:54:27

PunkRawkSucks
Website

Problem solved. Sort of. It has something to do with my config files in my homedir. I moved my homedir out of the way, created a new empty homedir and I am all fixed up.

Mark

#6 2004-12-15 06:26:24

tpowa
Developer

look at .config dir
and .share dir
in your home the problems may come from your previous menu changes

Board footer