You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-14 18:08:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

exuberant vim

Ok, well I'm looking for some help and opinions here:
a) ctags/etags vs cscope: which is better?
b) what's the quickest way to get/generate tags for standard libraries... this would be helpful.... I have already generated a bunch of dict files for vim, but this is keyword based... I'd like to be able to jump to, say, string.h and check the strncmp definition if i wanted to....

#2 2004-12-15 12:39:59

zezaz
Website

Re: exuberant vim

Hi Phrakture,

2 questions call for 2 answers!

a) i did not dig very deeply into the various tags features,  but i personnaly found that exuberant ctags was easier to use with vim. More precisely, it just works with vim, which was not the case for etags when i tried it some time ago. I believe that an emacs user would be more at ease with etags.

b) this is just a guess but... did you try to press the K key when the cursor is on a keyword (say, strncmp)? More details on this with:

:help K

#3 2004-12-15 16:38:48

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: exuberant vim

zezaz wrote:

b) this is just a guess but... did you try to press the K key when the cursor is on a keyword (say, strncmp)? More details on this with:

:help K

cool, didn't know about that... this means I can change keywordprg settings for different code... thanks for the tip...

another useful one I found was "gf" for included files...

and yes, ctags was much easier to mess with than cscope.... (also cscope was made by SCO... ewww)

Board footer