You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-15 16:00:31

PunkRawkSucks
Website

What is the normal way to forceload a module at boot time?

Hi all. I want to make sure that my sonypi module is loaded at boot time on my laptop. Currently it is not being loaded by any automatic means so I have to do it by hand.

I also need to make sure the /dev/misc/sonypi device that it creates (is created as a result of it I guess) has perms 644. Currently it comes up 600.

Just wondering what the "proper" way to do this is under kernel 2.6, Arch, udev, etc ...

Thanks!

Mark

#2 2004-12-15 16:08:57

Win

Re: What is the normal way to forceload a module at boot time?

Hi PunkRawkSucks.

You'll need to do two things:

(a) add sonypi to the MODULES line in /etc/rc.conf
(b) create a user definition file for your modifications to the default /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions file (e.g., '/etc/udev/permissions.d/00-punkrawsucks.permissions' ) that has a content something like:

# misc devices
misc/sonypi:root:root:0660

You'll either need to reboot or load the module and restart udev to get this working, of course.

That should do it.

Regards,

Win

#3 2004-12-15 16:19:39

sarah31
Website

PunkRawkSucks wrote:

Currently it is not being loaded by any automatic means so I have to do it by hand.

so by "automatic are you referring to it not loading dfrom rc.conf or some other boot file?

if you do have it in rc.conf.modprobe(or whatever).conf my guess would be it is not in the right order in the module array (some modules must be loaded before other can).

you could try changing the order it loads in rc.conf or just load it with rc.local (in rc.local you can pass other instructions for it too such as the perms).

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-12-15 18:06:57

PunkRawkSucks
Website

Win wrote:

(a) add sonypi to the MODULES line in /etc/rc.conf

Argh, I can't believe I missed that. I gave Arch a 3-4 month run just a short while ago and I had added sonypi to rc.conf then. How the memory fades ... thanks!

Win wrote:

(b) create a user definition file for your modifications to the default /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions file (e.g., '/etc/udev/permissions.d/00-punkrawsucks.permissions' ) that has a content something like:

# misc devices
misc/sonypi:root:root:0660

You'll either need to reboot or load the module and restart udev to get this working, of course.

I also added devfs=nomount to my grub config, per the Wiki here:

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/UdevHowTo

Not sure if that is actually still required or not.

Otherwise, done and working! Thanks!

[root@yen ~]# cat /etc/udev/permissions.d/00-local.permissions
sonypi:root:users:0640
[root@yen ~]# ls -l /dev/sonypi
crw-r-----  1 root users 10, 62 2004-12-15 12:57 /dev/sonypi
[root@yen ~]#

Mark

Board footer