You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-16 07:42:59

kruemeltee

mplayer drops: illegal opcode

Hello everybody ...

I've got a weird problem with mplayer ... some weeks ago I made an systemupdate on archlinuxppc with pacman -Syu and since that mplayer doesn't work anymore and drops "illegal opcode" when trying to start. Within the irc channel archlinux-ppc I found out, that this problem is caused by the altivec option within the xvid package ... this seems to be right as I found out, that xine wasn't able to play xvid movies and still worked (doesn't drop this illegal opcode message). After configuring xine for using the xvid codec xine also stops working. Not even just opening the player works anymore.
Somebody told me I have to reconfigure mplayer with the option --disable-altivec. I found this option within the PKGBUILD and started recompiling the package for myself. Within the configuration makepkg tells me

Checking for GCC AltiVec flags ... -maltivec -mabi=altivec

so it seems so as if this diabling flag is not used. I found the playe within the PKGBUILD and it seems as if this option is just used by makepkg if one of the environment variables tells makepg. the package will be compiled for ppc architecture. So I added the line "--disable-altivec" directly within the options. The result isn't changing.
The compilation stops with an error message:

libvo/vo_gl.c: In function 'update_yuvconv' :
libvo/vo_gl.c:191: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
Please submit a full bug report,
with processed source if appropriate.
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make: *** [libvo/vo_gl.o] Fehler 1

This could be caused on two things ...
on the one hand mplayer depends on a higher version of x264 (that is not within my repositorys ... x264>=20090216, I still have 20090108) ... so the first thing I tried was to make the needed x264 package for myself, but during compilation makepkg fails with the same error message as on mplayer (above error message). So I changed the line on a given package of x264 (the one I have) and mplayer starts compiling, but drops this error above.
on the other hand it may be possible, that the GCC has this altivec flag too ... seems so, like the line during cheking the configuration tells me. But what now? I really have no idea how to get mplayer (and xine) working again. Could anybody help me?

one last hint ... if I'm reading the lines during compilation where every file gets compiled it tells me something like that:

cc -Wdisable-optimization -Wno-pointer-sign -Wdeclaration-after-statement -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -O4 -pipe -ffast-math -formit-frame-pointer -maltivec -mabi=altivec [...]

is this altivec option at the end of this line within the gcc standard options? So how to change them?

regards
kruemeltee

#2 2009-06-16 09:33:14

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: mplayer drops: illegal opcode

./configure --help

should tell you how to disable altivec properly.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-06-16 10:10:15

kruemeltee

okay ... ./configure --help got me this on altivec:

--enable-altivec         enable AltiVec (PowerPC) [autodetect]

so it seems as if this option is autodetected ...

I found a thread that includes disabling/enabling altivec ... somebody found out:

magnus wrote:

After downloading the libmpeg2 snapshot and building it I realized that
libmpeg2-configure checks for altivec.h and enables altivec if that file
is present. And it is not possible to pass --enable/disable-altivec to
force support on/off.

But this thread is very old ... but it seems as if this problem still occurs ... it seems as if the --disable-altivec option within the PKGBUILD is neccessary but doesn't work ... because I still have this

Checking for GCC AltiVec flags ... -maltivec -mabi=altivec

within. So what now?
Maybe this is a general feature within gcc, as I didn't found a config file with "-maltivec -mabi=altivec" inside. But I'm trying to find this file ...

regards
kruemeltee

Last edited by kruemeltee (2009-06-16 10:10:30)

#4 2009-06-16 11:12:32

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Doesn't the help message say anything about turning off autodetection, overriding it, or about disabling options?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer