You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-15 11:32:36

tmadhavan

Essential Linux Apps For A Computer Science Student

Yo all,

I'm studying CS at Cardiff Uni (Wales). Pretty shat, but that's besides the point. What I'm wondering is, are there any other CS students who use linux for doing work, and if so, what apps do you use?

For example, our labs have things like Matlab and Mathematica, I'm not sure if there are any non-license equivalents. I need software for mathematics/graphs, development tools for HTML (any WYSIWYG?), Java, PHP, maybe Perl.

Atm I'm using Bluefish for editing web stuff, and Jedit for Java, tho it tends to bugger up sometimes and I lose keyboard functionality.

If anyone has any suggestions for editors, IDEs, generally useful stuff, I'd be interested to know.

Peace hermanos.
T

#2 2004-12-15 11:39:48

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Essential Linux Apps For A Computer Science Student

Eclipse is really good for java dev.  http://www.eclipse.org/
For php dev, I just use a text editor with syntax highlighting. I like to use KDE Kate for that...or vi. *shrug*

Other programs I find useful in school (CS student):
gcc
gdb
ruby (the language..also the interpreter)
vmware
KDE Kate
vi
XML Mind
ArgoUML
cvs
LaTeX
docbook toolchain (See XML Mind)
and lots of Bash. 8)

I want to start using Doxygen, but I just haven't had the time lately to mess around learning it...too busy with school and other fun projects big_smile

As for math stuff, the closest thing I have used lately was MathCAD, about 4 or so years ago when I took calculus. Since then, about the most mathematical oriented thing I uses is LaTeX.

That is about all I can think of off the top of my head..stuff that I use on a semi regular basis.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-12-15 14:39:48

zeppelin
Website

tmadhavan wrote:

For example, our labs have things like Matlab and Mathematica, I'm not sure if there are any non-license equivalents. I need software for mathematics/graphs, development tools for HTML (any WYSIWYG?), Java, PHP, maybe Perl.

try TeXmacs (GUI) and Octave. Octave has the same syntax with Matlab and does a good job. [no toolboxes though]. You can find it in ArchLinux. Also SciGraphica (a tu repo) is nice, R (mostly statistics), Rpy (via python), and of course PYTHON as a calculator and much more. wink

Atm I'm using Bluefish for editing web stuff, and Jedit for Java, tho it tends to bugger up sometimes and I lose keyboard functionality.

Bluefish is nice, if you want GUI, try nvu (nvu.com). It's Open Source.
I don't know Jedit and what you lose. There are TONS of JAVA Editors, also you can run eclipse (and with the new VE it rocks)

If anyone has any suggestions for editors, IDEs, generally useful stuff, I'd be interested to know.

Anjuta, KDevelop, Eclipse, MonoDevelop, Emacs, Vi and so on..

Peace hermanos.
T

Greets from Greece

#4 2004-12-15 16:32:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

tmadhavan wrote:

vim... love it... hate it....

#5 2004-12-15 19:16:12

colnago

Nedit is the way top go for editing.  There is this great feature where you hold down control while selecting and it lets you copy or pase in a box rather than in contiinuous lines.  ctrl-shift-v to paste the box (column).

#6 2004-12-15 22:02:57

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

You can also try scilab (it's in my repo).  It's related to Matlab.

#7 2004-12-15 22:13:54

luisfelipe

colnago, there is a way to do that in VI, I just can't remember it right now.

About useful programs for CS, someday you're probably going to need to use
a linear programming solver. There is GLPK available for that.

#8 2004-12-15 22:42:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

luisfelipe wrote:

colnago, there is a way to do that in VI, I just can't remember it right now.

it's visual block mode (ctrl+v)

#9 2005-01-01 22:05:08

skoal
Website

"eclipse" is the shnizzle for rizzle.  It's great for cross platform work, especially while integrating some DB stuff with PHP.

Outside of that, phrakture said it best..."vim...love it...hate it".  I've used "vim" for ages and am just now getting used to it's powerful scripting features.  Afterall, that was the real motivation behind "vi" to begin with.  No IDE, even eclipse, can compare with the efficiency and speed of a master VIM guru.

I remember when I was working with matlab some time ago.  I'm pretty sure they have a matlab port for linux, although I never used it.

For documents, one golden word..."laTEX".  I don't even use Open Office.  If you want to look and sound like a professional in your work, use "laTEX".  Unfortunately, you would be surprised how many Windows users don't know what to do with a ".pdf" file.  However, I'd be surprised to know that any University, at an undergraduate or graduate level, has their CS students using anything but TEX for their documents.  You can insert all types of graphs and pictures into your document, much like a typesetter at a major book publisher would.  If you don't use TEX now, start.  It's really easy to use after some experience with it, and you will find that it is much more flexible than OO or Office, for anything and everything.

#10 2005-01-03 12:49:27

tmadhavan

Well, no I don't use Tex or laTex, although I've heard loads about them and I'm sure a lot of my departmental help websites are created using laTex.

What's it all about?

Anyway all my modules just died so I need to go fix that big_smile

T

#11 2005-01-06 20:48:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

holy font spacing batman!

#12 2005-01-06 22:06:19

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

tmadhavan wrote:

Well, no I don't use Tex or laTex, although I've heard loads about them and I'm sure a lot of my departmental help websites are created using laTex.

What's it all about?

Latex is a typesetting system.  It is similar to HTML because it uses tags.  There are some GUI for Latex but I prefer using emacs to create my latex files because it is much faster.
A good introduction:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/ls … lshort.pdf
A list of symbols that can be included in a Latex document:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/sy … letter.pdf

Board footer