You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-17 05:34:11

decnet

Encrypted FS: Kernel Panic on boot

Hi guys,

First install of Arch. Encrypted /, /home. /boot is not encrypted.

Using install disk Arch 2009.1, and followed http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LUKS.

When I boot, I get this:

initramfs completed - control passing to kinit
IP-config: no devices to configure
waiting 0s before mounting root device...
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem in ordered data mode
kinit: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly
kjournald starting: commit interval 5 seconds
kinit: init not found!
Kernel panic - not syncing. Attempted to kill init!

sad

Details: I've enabled encrypt and filesystems HOOKS in mkinitcpio.conf - and verified that they are enabled and loaded on boot.
My grub conf is pointing root= to boot partition and the disks and partitions seem to be loaded.

I'm not using USB anything.. I've tried reinstalling and it still happens.

The only thing I can see is in the howto it says:

Attention: You need to answer the question Do you need support for booting from encrypted volumes? with yes.

This question was never asked to me in the install.. what am I missing?

Thanks guys..
decnet

#2 2009-06-17 06:10:44

decnet

Re: Encrypted FS: Kernel Panic on boot

FYI, just reinstalled again with 2009.2 and got the same..

#3 2009-06-17 23:56:08

decnet

I went through this,

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=59084

and made the changes suggested - but it still doesn't work.

Is this the right part of the forum to be posting this?

#4 2009-06-18 11:44:11

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

It does not matter where you put it - if you're new to Arch you're always welcome to put your questions here, even if they're more technical (it should give you a more lenient public tongue).

If I remember correctly you *should* have gotten that question during the setup, after installation, when you're walked through the configuration of the system, at the point where you pick the kernel.

If you altered mkinitcpio.conf, did you rebuild the initramfs? Without rebuilding it there's no way your setup will boot, if it still has a plain initramfs not supporting encrypted partitions.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2009-06-19 03:14:41

10wattmindtrip

I too didn't get a message asking me if I wanted an encrypted filesystem upon configuration menu. What I did was I put encrypt just before filesystem and it seemed to work for me.

Perhaps you're missing a step. Post your fstab / grub/menu.lst?

and yes, try rebuilding initramfs, though I thought it rebuilds after leaving the configuration step in setup.

which would you choose: A god that never answers you or a society that embraces you?

#6 2009-06-19 08:50:54

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

It does - but only during setup itself. If you change it after booting the system independently (ie not from the installer) you'll always have to run mkinitcpio manually.

My guess is he changed it outside the setup routine on the live CD (then it won't run automatically either), if he changed it.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer