You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-19 16:43:28

Urfaust

Tool to test burned discs (PIF/POF Scan)

Hi,

I'm looking for a tool to do PIF/POF scans on my burned discs, so I can assure a certain burn quality (especially for dvd's) and find the perfect disc brand for my drive. I found QPxTool in AUR but it depends on QT and the last version is over a year old. Unfortunately it seems to be the only tool with this functionality or do you guys know another?

If you wonder what a PIF/POF scan is, look here for further explanation smile: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/interpreti … ans-80545/

EDIT: Additionally, do you know a database or something to look for good burner/blank media combinations. Becaus not every burner can handle every blank dvd...I only know this one: http://www.kompatible-rohlinge.de/ but there is not much content present and my burner isn't even listed there.:/

Last edited by Urfaust (2009-06-19 16:49:51)

#2 2009-06-19 19:13:50

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Tool to test burned discs (PIF/POF Scan)

Have you tried running the windows testing apps through wine?
I know isobuster works (data recovery program) so maybe the windows apps to test the burn quality will also work, mind you that your drive needs to support those scans but I guess you already know that.

About the database sorry but I can't help, it's been quite a long time since I've looked into all the stuff related to burning CDs and DVDs. These days I just burn what I need and do a simple read back test, if it works it's good to go big_smile

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2009-06-19 19:33:28

Urfaust

Re: Tool to test burned discs (PIF/POF Scan)

R00KIE wrote:

Have you tried running the windows testing apps through wine?
I know isobuster works (data recovery program) so maybe the windows apps to test the burn quality will also work, mind you that your drive needs to support those scans but I guess you already know that.

Thx for your reply. I'm running 64 bit Arch and I want to avoid using Wine for this. I know this will end in trouble, all the 32 bit libs, Wine issues, meh...:) Basically I'm looking for a tiny native solution I can use without nuisances like Wine and stuff...;)

R00KIE wrote:

About the database sorry but I can't help, it's been quite a long time since I've looked into all the stuff related to burning CDs and DVDs. These days I just burn what I need and do a simple read back test, if it works it's good to go big_smile

I hope you can say that in 5 years too.;)
I don't expect that my data will be saved forever but I want to extend the time span where the disc is readable. And less failures in the burn process increase the chance that the disc is readable in drives with a bad error correction.

Board footer