You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-20 18:01:32

arew264
Website

Kernel Ignores Rootdelay Option

I'm trying to get an external USB hard drive enclosure to mount from fstab (yes, I know there are easier ways, but I'm doing this in preparation for a setup later where I can't use the easier ways), and my kernel is ignoring the rootdelay option. I'm using the default Arch kernel, and here's the section in menu.lst that boots the kernel:

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Wait
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/89391563-cee6-4efb-b1e2-fd5a533bdaf4 usb-storage.delay_use=1 rootdelay=120 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

Now, I don't actually want a 2 minute root delay, but I tried 10, 20, and 30, and couldn't observe any difference. If I understand this correctly, the system should boot, load modules from the initcpio image, and then sit there for two minutes before running the Arch boot scripts, which are on the root filesystem. Instead, the system boots normally.
I've gotten it (the external enclosure) working with the usb-storage.delay_use option because it spins up when the BIOS runs, so its hard drive is ready by the time the kernel starts loading. I've added usb to the HOOKS and usb_storage to MODULES in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, and I regenerated the initcpio images by running `pacman -S kernel26`. However, in the target system that this drive will be deployed to, the BIOS time is very short, so I don't know if this trick will work.

Why is the kernel not adding a rootdelay like it should?

Last edited by arew264 (2009-06-21 01:41:21)

#2 2009-06-20 18:53:00

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Kernel Ignores Rootdelay Option

Perhaps the term ...rootdelay=8... should be added after the read-only (ro) term?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2009-06-20 19:38:34

parintachin

Re: Kernel Ignores Rootdelay Option

rootwait after rootdelay=8 should help

Board footer