You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-16 16:18:28

celeron2002

what do you think about fedora???

well, i wish knows your opinitions about this distro.

PD: i don't want a flame  :twisted:

irc.bsd.cl #linux
irc.freenode.org #archlinux-es

#2 2004-12-16 16:34:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: what do you think about fedora???

I think fedora is a step in the right direction for getting windows users to understand that there are other options out there...

personally, it's not for me... it does too much without me knowing... i.e. if I manually edit a config file, some other process may rewrite it...

#3 2004-12-16 17:03:55

kakabaratruskia

I think fedora is one of the most buggy distros out there. At least fedora core 1.

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#4 2004-12-16 17:11:09

PunkRawkSucks
Website

I had Fedora Core 3 on my laptop for a bit an I thought it was great. KDE 3.3.x, xorg, the latest ipw2200 Centrino drivers ... and everything worked very well.

Not having support for "non-free" stuff like MP3 was a pain in the ass.

There are some RedHat-isms that I was not fond of ... things like disk labels in fstab.

Not being an RH/RPM expert, I found it confusing/frustrating to track down RPMs, especially Core 3 specific RPMs for the various extras that I wanted.

Overall, I really liked Core 3. It had all the latest software, everything worked well "right out of the box". It makes a great desktop distro, which I would certainly consider using again.

Mark

#5 2004-12-16 21:07:44

onami

It is very good server since it has gui-s for every thing, starting/stoping daemons for each level of execution, samba configuring/ sharing .... .

As for a home desktop: too slow, it has daemons runing  that are really useless, and you add mplayer, xmms-mp3 plugin .....

it's recursive package managements (yum) sucks, it is really slow, but you can install apt-get for rpms and this works fine, synaptic is a gui that helps in this case.

You can find almost everything beeing a rpm for fedora.

My girlfriend has fedora 2 on her computer and she likes it because it is really easy to handle, once I installed apt-get, mplayer and all plugins needed.

Forever newbie !!!

#6 2004-12-16 22:29:33

dp
Website

i have antibodies, that detect fedora and tell my lymphocytes to react accordingly

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#7 2004-12-16 22:44:59

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dp wrote:

i have antibodies, that detect fedora and tell my lymphocytes to react accordingly

i hire big men in suits and sunglasses for that same reason

#8 2004-12-16 23:01:52

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

fedora's are ok..but I always liked seeing people in stovetop hats..especially around cristmas time. And monocles...Like Mr. Peanut. Stovetop hats and monocles...
and pocket watches..
yeah! Stovetop hats, monocles, and pocketwatches! Down with silly fedora hats, up with stovetop hats, monocles and pocketwatches!

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#9 2004-12-16 23:45:09

dp
Website

phrakture wrote:
dp wrote:

i hire big men in suits and sunglasses for that same reason

what are the sunglasses for?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#10 2004-12-17 02:44:01

skoal
Website

Interesting topic, indeed.

I blew away my Arch a few months back, to try out FC3, the only major distro I haven't sunk my molars into yet.

Well, in a nutshell, I think I might try and salvage some face and auction these 4 FC3 CD's on eBay, posting them as "beta Windows Longhorn CD's! Get 'em while they last!".  Ahhh...the sweet sweet deceptive satisfaction of getting someone to suffer with you.  Misery loves company...muahahhahaahaha...

Same 'ole same 'ole...Redhat with a different name.  And, I read somewhere that the Fedora Project has been cancelled, and will be merged back into the original Redhat project.

I got tired of "grep'ing and find'ing" my way through config files, in a vain attempt to remove the infectious swarm of countless, pointless processes running in the background.  What can I say?  I re-installed Arch the other day in no time at all, picking up where I left off, without skipping a beat. 

Eh?  The moral of that story?  Same as I learned in the Army..."You need a heavy dose of pain now and then...to remind you you're alive..."

By the way, what I miss?  My snazzy GIF avatar I created in GIMP is gone.  Is this the punishment I get?  If so, what If I lied...and had tried Gentoo instead...

#11 2004-12-17 02:44:13

johnisevil
Website

3 ISO's to install it... what a waste of 3 CD's.

#12 2004-12-17 04:06:52

aCoder
Website

I like Anaconda, and it is, without a doubt, the best of the graphical installers.  I also like rhgb, the slickest of the boot screen mods available.  Unfortunatly, thanks to rpm, yum, non-free paranoia, and nagging fans of apt-get, there was no furthur enjoyment in my Fedora Core experience.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#13 2004-12-17 09:30:17

oscar

I think fedora is ok - but I would never use it smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#14 2004-12-22 14:48:34

djhizz
Website

onami wrote:

It is very good server since it has gui-s for every thing, starting/stoping daemons for each level of execution, samba configuring/ sharing .... .

As for a home desktop: too slow, it has daemons runing  that are really useless, and you add mplayer, xmms-mp3 plugin .....

it's recursive package managements (yum) sucks, it is really slow, but you can install apt-get for rpms and this works fine, synaptic is a gui that helps in this case.

You can find almost everything beeing a rpm for fedora.

My girlfriend has fedora 2 on her computer and she likes it because it is really easy to handle, once I installed apt-get, mplayer and all plugins needed.

My girlfriend also has Fedora 3 on her PC....she says it is very nice...but as she can not play any games (warcraft..etc..etc)......well...then it sucks.... :? ..newbies!!!

My mama said once: ...........***K OFF!!!!   She was right!
<a href="http://www.nobelcom.com">phone cards</a>

#15 2004-12-22 18:15:03

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

To be completely honest here..it sucks. It is a miserable failure.
Admitedly, I only used FC2 (switched to it from mandrake), and it was so horrible to me that I used it for no more than a week or two, before switching to Arch.
Now remember, it seemed absolutly horrible to me after I had used Mandrake for well over a year... make your own conclusions.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#16 2004-12-22 22:15:41

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

FC2 was terrible. I haven't tried 3.
I really did like FC1 though, it was pretty decent. Of course, it was not yet a far divestiture from the standard RedHat release yet..so likely it was still ok BECAUSE of the fact that it hadn't evolved much yet.

I tried FC2, and it made me sad. I really do need a distro that is easy to set up, easy to use, and provides a reasonable "package". I need it for clients, friends, etc...I think throwing arch at them would be too much. They are, after all, not very computer savvy, and arch is an advanced distro in many regards..

I hear decent things coming out of Novel lately. I might have to try suse 9.2..
I tried suse in the past, but hated that too..lol

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#17 2004-12-23 22:57:47

Pechorin
Website

I was experimenting with different distros, and just before I tried Arch (and I love it!) I spent a day or two on Fedora Core 3. I used Red Hat until FC1 (RH9 was my last distro, and then I switched to Slackware).

I really hated it. First of all, it's all experimental (which is cool, great to have such a distro, but it's not for regular desktop use). Second, it's all patched, non standard etc. Much of the software I tried to compile I either couldn't, or it would just behave really weird. So, I set out to find RPMs. But, repositories are mess. They are all confilcting with each other and it usually takes much more time to find a good RPM, then to compile from source...

However, I love the bluecurve theme smile

#18 2004-12-25 13:28:53

Lovechild

I love Fedora, I run Development right now and it's absolutely a brilliant distro.

I'm proud to be a a freedomloving infidel piece of treehugging eurotrash.

#19 2005-01-29 03:31:53

I think fedora is alright. I would rather have this distro tho. /me doesnt get along with rpm distros tongue

#20 2005-02-08 06:43:40

darkcoder

FC is unstable.  Tryed all versions, and all game me problems, but in fact, found FC3 the most stable of them.  But after testing non-rpm based distros found that the real limiting factor of FC3 (and others) is the release version cycle.  While that means revenue to companies due to new version sales, when they will take notice that distributions like Gentoo, Debian based or Arch are getting so much attention lately is that they do not depent on that.  Install once, update forever.

But as a server, FC3 is a good one.

#21 2005-02-08 19:38:51

Fox

Fedora is a good distro (I tested Fedora Core I, but its rpm gui wasn't good at that point of time),  RPM is nice, Redhat is a good company. I don't know why people dislike it. If Arch Linux won't change in the next time (Package Submition, Cooperation between the main developers and other developers/projects (like pacman-i18n), I'll switch back to Fedora, because I know that Redhat is cooperative company (I know this form Kernel Development, because I corresponded with some people from redhat about my patches, etc.) and if you report a bug (e.g. in package or submit package to ), it's taken seriously - different to Arch Linux (some developers needed more than 2 weeks to respond to my mails or didn't answer).

#22 2005-02-08 20:15:59

arooaroo
Website

I use fedora 2 on a daily basis as that's what we have on the Linux machines at uni. So, I don't have much experience as a admin in Fedora except for the couple of days it was also on my laptop.

As far as installation goes, it was pretty easy - but that's been the case with RH/Fedora for many years. Don't like the package manager. Yum is also a pain.

I hate the fact that they still don't bundle mp3 decoders as default. You only need a license for encoding - so why make life difficult for users?

I like the look of the natively compiled Eclipse package that is being worked on by fedora team members. (Only of interest to Java devs, mind).

But, for my day to day usage it is fine. I know that it's not the quickest distro in the world. It is good in helping to convert MS fans to linux without much bother.

Board footer