You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-17 04:34:58

lilsirecho
Veteran

Pacman -Qs initscripts

When this is entered, what is supposed to happen from pacman download?

I get no download...

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2004-12-17 06:18:32

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Pacman -Qs initscripts

-Q is query. It should just return information about the package. If you want to install it, that is -S
pacman -Sw packagename
downloads the package, does not install it.

man pacman

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-12-17 06:46:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

Just following the install instructions in the wiki for Udev.

It seems it is not an install requirement, from what you report.  Guess it doesn't belong as a wiki "install" item.  It may be intended as a pre-requisite but it isn't so stated.

I can only assume that the permissions are default "root" although that statement isn't made initially.

Very confusing, Udev.

Thanks

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2004-12-17 06:50:54

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I think initscripts might be a requirement..
try pacman -Sy initscripts if that is the case..
maybe someone who knows what they are talking about can chime in with the correct answer..

I too am a bit confused by udev..mostly because my system works now, so I haven't had need to hassle with it yet...yet..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2004-12-17 16:03:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

the initscripts package is part of the Arch base install - it *is* on your system.

The "pacman -Qs initscripts" command is only to verify the version (the wiki states this command used to check initscripts version >= 0.7, similar to uname -r to check kernel version >= 2.6).

As for switching to udev, the requirements are not difficult:
add "devfs=nomount" to the kernel boot parameters, in either lilo.conf or grub/menu.lst.

The wiki also mentions changes to fstab, though I don't recall ever doing this... *shrug*

That should be it - you want to reboot to make sure devfs is unmounted, but after that, you can run /etc/start_udev in order to restart the udev daemon (which will read rules and permissions)

Hopefully you wont have to do much rule/permissions tweaking, assuming your user is part of the audio and optical groups.

Board footer