You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-20 10:56:24

*blasco*

Slow connection if I don't write on the HD!

Hi, I don't know if this is the right section, but I have a very strange problem.

I try to explain my problem:
I surf the Net with my laptop that is connected to a PC (with Windows XP) with a crosscable. The PC with WinXP is directly connect to the internet and works as gateway. I have just reinstalled Archlinux on my laptop because I changed the hard disk (but until now i didn't have this problem). The problem is:

If I download something e.g. with pacman, the speed of the download is between the 10-20 kb/s, while if I start to copy a big file into my home the speed will be increased (until 300-350 kb/s, the right speed of my connection!). When the copy is finished, the speed decreases again until 10-20 kb/s. I verified this strange behaviour many and many times and I can't find a motivation..This behaviour is very tiresome.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

Maurizio.

#2 2009-06-20 20:11:35

Bogart

Re: Slow connection if I don't write on the HD!

This is certainly a very strange problem, and I have no clue what's going on. But maybe you can try different setups to try to isolate it. For example, does the problem go away if you connect directly to the network (i.e, without the Windows machine as a gateway)? Have you tried a live CD (say, an Ubuntu Live CD) to check if the problem exists there too?

#3 2009-06-21 11:48:30

*blasco*

Re: Slow connection if I don't write on the HD!

With a live cd (isolinux distribution because the others didn't work on my laptop) I have the same problem..This night i will try to connect directly the modem to my laptop and the next week I try the wireless connection..What do you think if I try to install another kernel? I'll try it!

Board footer