You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-25 18:21:56

SomeGuyDude

Yaourt: "recursive error 1", "will not overwrite just-created"

Tried to install carrier:

/bin/install: will not overwrite just-created `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/pkg/usr/include/carrier/gtkcellview.h' with `gtkcellview.h'
/bin/install: will not overwrite just-created `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/pkg/usr/include/carrier/gtkcellviewmenuitem.h' with `gtkcellviewmenuitem.h'
make[3]: *** [install-carrierincludeHEADERS] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/src/carrier-2.5.5/carrier'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/src/carrier-2.5.5/carrier'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/src/carrier-2.5.5/carrier'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build carrier package.

What does this mean?

EDIT: the reason I need carrier is that for SOME reason Pidgin is not playing nice with the latest Compiz and my window decorations keep getting erased whenever pidgin spawns a new window.

DOUBLE EDIT: it's a moot point because trying to install pidgin shoots out about fifty bizarre "exists in filesystem" errors.

Last edited by SomeGuyDude (2009-05-26 04:03:40)

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#2 2009-05-26 03:56:34

SomeGuyDude

Re: Yaourt: "recursive error 1", "will not overwrite just-created"

Little help, guys. I need an IM client and right now I have nothing.

#3 2009-05-26 04:12:07

tdy

I don't use carrier, but I just tried building it via makepkg way with 0 issues.  Build it the standard way if yaourt keeps breaking.

Last edited by tdy (2009-05-26 04:15:02)

#4 2009-05-26 05:47:45

tomk
Forum Fellow

SomeGuyDude wrote:

trying to install pidgin shoots out about fifty bizarre "exists in filesystem" errors.

Solve this issue - all you have to do is read the errors, and act on them. Then you can use pidgin and be happy.

#5 2009-05-26 08:31:26

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

What is more interesting, where does this recursive install attempt come from? Is this a PKGBUILD error? Is there a simple cure?
I didn't look into that package, simply curious.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#6 2009-05-26 12:31:35

SomeGuyDude

bernarcher wrote:

What is more interesting, where does this recursive install attempt come from? Is this a PKGBUILD error? Is there a simple cure?
I didn't look into that package, simply curious.

That's the first two lines. It appears to be trying to write files that were already written (up until then the output is standard make). The thing is, I'd had the package working fine, but then I uninstalled it in order to use vanilla Pidgin again, and upon realizing it STILL didn't play nice with Compiz, I uninstalled pidgin, tried Carrier again. Then I got that error. No idea what happened in the interim. A new version didn't come out.

It happens during the make install area, is there any way to "force" it? I managed to install pidgin (for now, meaning I have to scrap Compiz until I figure out THAT problem) by doing a "pacman -Sf", but is there a "sudo make install" equivalent?

#7 2009-05-26 14:36:10

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

If I understand correctly, you did uninstall Carrier, installed, then uninstalled Pidgin and then attempted to install Carrier again.

Could it be that yaourt tried to install in a stale /tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew directory, left over from a previous Carrier install?

Last edited by bernarcher (2009-05-26 14:36:50)

#8 2009-05-26 15:15:45

SomeGuyDude

I've erased the tmp directory a few times, actually. Starting with absolutely no yaourt-tmp-crew folder, I get the same error. Here's a little more of the output, from my attempt a few seconds ago.

make[3]: Entering directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/src/carrier-2.5.5/carrier'
test -z "/usr/bin" || /bin/mkdir -p "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/pkg/usr/bin"
  /bin/sh ../libtool --silent   --mode=install /bin/install -c carrier '/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/pkg/usr/bin'
test -z "/usr/include/carrier" || /bin/mkdir -p "/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/pkg/usr/include/carrier"
 /bin/install -c -m 644 eggtrayicon.h gtkaccount.h gtkblist.h gtkcelllayout.h gtkcellrendererexpander.h gtkcellrendererprogress.h gtkcellview.h gtkcellviewmenuitem.h gtkcellview.h gtkcellviewmenuitem.h gtkcertmgr.h pidgincombobox.h gtkconn.h gtkconv.h gtkconvwin.h gtkdebug.h gtkdialogs.h gtkdnd-hints.h gtkdocklet.h gtkeventloop.h gtkexpander.h gtkft.h gtkidle.h gtkgaim-compat.h gtkimhtml.h gtkimhtmltoolbar.h gtklog.h gtkmenutray.h gtknickcolors.h gtknotify.h gtkplugin.h gtkpluginpref.h gtkprefs.h gtkprivacy.h gtkpounce.h gtkrequest.h gtkroomlist.h gtksavedstatuses.h gtkscrollbook.h gtksession.h '/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/pkg/usr/include/carrier'
/bin/install: will not overwrite just-created `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/pkg/usr/include/carrier/gtkcellview.h' with `gtkcellview.h'
/bin/install: will not overwrite just-created `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/pkg/usr/include/carrier/gtkcellviewmenuitem.h' with `gtkcellviewmenuitem.h'
make[3]: *** [install-carrierincludeHEADERS] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/src/carrier-2.5.5/carrier'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/src/carrier-2.5.5/carrier'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/src/carrier-2.5.5/carrier'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build carrier package.

#9 2009-05-26 15:50:33

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

The problem appears to be this line:

/bin/install -c -m 644 eggtrayicon.h gtkaccount.h gtkblist.h gtkcelllayout.h gtkcellrendererexpander.h gtkcellrendererprogress.h gtkcellview.h gtkcellviewmenuitem.h gtkcellview.h gtkcellviewmenuitem.h gtkcertmgr.h pidgincombobox.h gtkconn.h gtkconv.h gtkconvwin.h gtkdebug.h gtkdialogs.h gtkdnd-hints.h gtkdocklet.h gtkeventloop.h gtkexpander.h gtkft.h gtkidle.h gtkgaim-compat.h gtkimhtml.h gtkimhtmltoolbar.h gtklog.h gtkmenutray.h gtknickcolors.h gtknotify.h gtkplugin.h gtkpluginpref.h gtkprefs.h gtkprivacy.h gtkpounce.h gtkrequest.h gtkroomlist.h gtksavedstatuses.h gtkscrollbook.h gtksession.h '/tmp/yaourt-tmp-crew/aur-carrier/carrier/pkg/usr/include/carrier'

This attempts to install gtkcellview.h and gtkcellviewmenuitem.h twice in a row. Probably there is no overwrite right yet, so this is bound to fail.
Just guessing: Are are your umask settings ok?
Could it be that install tries to change the mode to 644 only after the whole line has been processed?

#10 2009-05-26 17:06:40

SomeGuyDude

Just as a note, I don't know what my umask settings are at all, and is there any way for me to fix that second part? I'm really flyin' blind here.

#11 2009-05-26 17:41:28

tdy

tdy wrote:

Build it the standard way if yaourt keeps breaking.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg

Last edited by tdy (2009-05-26 17:42:50)

#12 2009-05-26 18:28:44

SomeGuyDude

tdy wrote:
tdy wrote:

Build it the standard way if yaourt keeps breaking.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg

Hi. Yeah, see, that just uses the PKGBUILD, and I get the same error in the end. It's a problem with the make install command somewhere along the line. No idea what or how.

#13 2009-05-26 18:39:04

jacko

listen to tomk, fix the pigin error and be happy.

HINT: You tried installing it without using pacman, that is why files already exist and pacman is refusing to overwrite them. It's not pacman fault you did something with out it's knowledge.

...and before you tell me, I am using yaourt, think about what yaourt is exactly.

Last edited by jacko (2009-05-26 18:40:32)

#14 2009-05-26 19:22:10

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

bernarcher wrote:

The problem appears to be this line:

This attempts to install gtkcellview.h and gtkcellviewmenuitem.h twice in a row.

I was thinking backwards, sorry. roll mad
install does not allow something be installed to the same destination twice in a row, as a simple test shows:

bp:~/scratch$ install -v -m 644 inst ./test
`inst' -> `./test/inst'
bp:~/scratch$ install -v -m 644 inst ./test
removed `./test/inst'
`inst' -> `./test/inst'
bp:~/scratch$ install -v -m 644 inst inst ./test
removed `./test/inst'
`inst' -> `./test/inst'
install: will not overwrite just-created `./test/inst' with `inst'
bp:~/scratch$

This is for a purpose, of course.
In other words, there must be a bug either in the package or--less likely--with yaourt.
You could try to build the package from /var/abs with makepkg (see the ABS wiki for this). If the error persists, perhaps you may try to downgrade.

#15 2009-05-26 19:24:47

SomeGuyDude

Look, like I said, Pidgin is installed. However, I can't make it work when I use Compiz as my WM. When I open it, or when a new window spawns, ALL of Compiz's borders go away. I have to reload the Window Manager to bring everything back. And I have to do it CONSTANTLY. Carrier, for some reason, didn't have that problem.

So I can't "use pidgin and be happy" because Pidgin is breaking Compiz (an error which for some reason I'm the only person who is experiencing it), so I have to change WM's just to use the thing.

#16 2009-05-26 19:33:12

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

jacko wrote:

HINT: You tried installing it without using pacman, that is why files already exist and pacman is refusing to overwrite them. It's not pacman fault you did something with out it's knowledge.

...and before you tell me, I am using yaourt, think about what yaourt is exactly.

I am sceptical about this. The double install command obviously was produced by the package's Makefile. Neither pacman nor yaourt are of influence there, usually at least. (There could be side effects in PKGFILE, but these should be handled by makepkg.)

I had a look (again) at the yaourt script and found no evidence of any such influence you talk of.
But I am willing to learn. Could you please be more specific about that "think about what yaourt is exactly" statement?

#17 2009-05-26 23:59:30

tomk
Forum Fellow

I got sufficiently curious about this to try it - and it builds fine here, on both 32 and 64 bit. I can paste up build logs somewhere if you're interested.

Probably doesn't help, but anyway... smile

#18 2009-05-27 00:00:41

SomeGuyDude

bernarcher wrote:
jacko wrote:

I am sceptical about this. The double install command obviously was produced by the package's Makefile. Neither pacman nor yaourt are of influence there, usually at least. (There could be side effects in PKGFILE, but these should be handled by makepkg.)

I had a look (again) at the yaourt script and found no evidence of any such influence you talk of.
But I am willing to learn. Could you please be more specific about that "think about what yaourt is exactly" statement?

There's no way around it, either. I can't sudo make install in the directory, nothing. Same error happens everywhere.

Is there some compiler piece of software that got screwed up, some config file somewhere that got corrupted? Anything I can reinstall or overwrite? See that's what's really concerning me: that I may have a system file broken and need to start rebuilding things.

Last edited by SomeGuyDude (2009-05-27 12:17:22)

#19 2009-06-24 01:23:12

Kilroo

Anyone managed to solve this yet? I'm not sure how well I follow, but it sounds like the problem is on Carrier's end...but it also sounds like if I knew what file to change, it would be pretty simple to fix?

Then again, if I understand what I'm reading elsewhere correctly, Carrier won't work right with Yahoo until they push out an equivalent to Pidgin 2.5.7 anyhow...

#20 2009-06-25 03:43:59

Kilroo

Eureka.

diff -aur carrier-2.5.7/carrier/Makefile carrier-2.5.7.new/carrier/Makefile
--- carrier-2.5.7/carrier/Makefile    2009-06-24 23:06:12.000000000 -0400
+++ carrier-2.5.7.new/carrier/Makefile    2009-06-24 23:26:16.000000000 -0400
@@ -564,8 +564,6 @@
     gtkcellrendererprogress.h \
     gtkcellview.h \
     gtkcellviewmenuitem.h \
-    gtkcellview.h \
-    gtkcellviewmenuitem.h \
     gtkcertmgr.h \
     pidgincombobox.h \
     gtkconn.h \
diff -aur carrier-2.5.7/carrier/Makefile.am carrier-2.5.7.new/carrier/Makefile.am
--- carrier-2.5.7/carrier/Makefile.am    2008-12-22 04:00:26.000000000 -0500
+++ carrier-2.5.7.new/carrier/Makefile.am    2009-06-24 23:26:26.000000000 -0400
@@ -132,8 +132,6 @@
     gtkcellrendererprogress.h \
     gtkcellview.h \
     gtkcellviewmenuitem.h \
-    gtkcellview.h \
-    gtkcellviewmenuitem.h \
     gtkcertmgr.h \
     pidgincombobox.h \
     gtkconn.h \
diff -aur carrier-2.5.7/carrier/Makefile.in carrier-2.5.7.new/carrier/Makefile.in
--- carrier-2.5.7/carrier/Makefile.in    2009-06-24 23:05:43.000000000 -0400
+++ carrier-2.5.7.new/carrier/Makefile.in    2009-06-24 23:27:47.000000000 -0400
@@ -564,8 +564,6 @@
 @ENABLE_GTK_TRUE@    gtkcellrendererprogress.h \
 @ENABLE_GTK_TRUE@    gtkcellview.h \
 @ENABLE_GTK_TRUE@    gtkcellviewmenuitem.h \
-@ENABLE_GTK_TRUE@    gtkcellview.h \
-@ENABLE_GTK_TRUE@    gtkcellviewmenuitem.h \
 @ENABLE_GTK_TRUE@    gtkcertmgr.h \
 @ENABLE_GTK_TRUE@    pidgincombobox.h \
 @ENABLE_GTK_TRUE@    gtkconn.h \

Board footer