You are not logged in.

#26 2004-09-09 19:52:40

Moo-Crumpus

Re: Wiki: disorganized / help finding new wiki

Dusty wrote:

Hmmm... I'm not sure that's going to work; what do you do with combo pages (Apache PHP and MySQL or Kernel compile in ABS) -- list them in multiple places?
Dusty

I don't think apache php mysql as a combo, and don't think kernel and abs are. The sheme is very easy: Add to apache what is needed for it, plus extra config for other things I would like to use with.
Most people configure packages straight forward: First, let's do the apache jobs, later concentrate on php. I won't have to touch apache again, if I considered I will later use it with php while configurating apache. There is no need for hopping.
Add to php, what is needed for php, plus a link on how to use it with web services like apache or xitami. If you do a mysql section, you may add a point on how to have php running mysql extensions, but this is more or less a php issue.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#27 2004-09-10 11:10:14

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty wrote:

I'm intrigued by the idea of including WHERETO links with the others... perhaps each category should have an 'external links' section instead of including these links in another doc.  Actually, this is a good idea. I'll start on it when I get home. in a week or so.

I am not sure what you mean. Maybe its same what I am currently doing. From man page system I got the idea to add at the bottom of the documents "Read also", related links so users can move within the subject. So far I only added to few docs but maybe we could aslo include links from WHERETO.

Markku

#28 2004-09-10 17:55:55

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

rasat wrote:

I am not sure what you mean. Maybe its same what I am currently doing. From man page system I got the idea to add at the bottom of the documents "Read also", related links so users can move within the subject. So far I only added to few docs but maybe we could aslo include links from WHERETO.

Yep, that's the same idea. Just copy the WHERETO links over and the WHERETO is now redundant.  All my work lost. *sigh*

Dusty

#29 2004-09-10 22:48:33

longhornxtreme

Sorry about taking so long to reply...

I really think having both a HOWTO and a WHERETO section is redundant and makes it dificult for people new to Arch to find exactly the info they need.  80% of the info IS in the wiki and in my opinion that makes up for all the lack of the official doc's. 

I think it would be better organized by using this page

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HOWTOs

and including all the whereto's alongside with the howto's underneath their respective categories.  Puts all the information in one place, divided by one set of categories.  And if their's any dispute as to which category it falls under... there could always be a "Special or Misc. Category that has bolded text next to it that says READ THIS FIRST PLEASE"  or one article could be linked under different categories. 

What do ya'll think of that?
James

#30 2004-09-11 00:31:31

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

longhornxtreme wrote:

80% of the info IS in the wiki and in my opinion that makes up for all the lack of the official doc's.

Who needs official docs?

and including all the whereto's alongside with the howto's underneath their respective categories.

What do ya'll think of that?

That might be more locateable than having related documents to each article. Rasat?

Dusty

#31 2004-09-11 01:34:19

longhornxtreme

Who needs official docs?

My feelings exactly!

I just think that there shouldn't be separate  repositories of information on the same subject matter...

#32 2004-09-11 04:53:18

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

you shouldn't have any trouble getting on with google then, they're fanatics about organizing the worlds information.   wink

#33 2004-12-18 12:56:54

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

We are looking for a new Wiki system. PhpWiki doesn't support php5, open for spam, and organizing limit.
I am testing WordPress Wiki and finding it good.

WordPress is a state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability. It supports multiple users, categories, comments, bookmarklets, RSS syndication, several APIs, weblogs.com ping, and more!

http://wordpress.org/
http://www.viewfinderdesign.co.uk/freetemplates/
http://binarybonsai.com/playground/

Markku

#34 2004-12-18 17:29:10

punkrockguy318
Website

Wow!  it sure looks a lot better now  big_smile

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#35 2004-12-18 19:44:15

IceRAM
Website

I have used WordPress on my website, but I didn't/don't see it as a Wiki.
Actually, if I think again, it is NOT a wiki. Wiki means "fast", or something like that. WordPress is fast, but for MAINLY for blogging - all the sites using Wordpress have blogs on them, AFAIK.

I hope you won't replace backend of the docs of ArchLinux with a blogger. It is very difficult to maintain, IMO, because links between the articles are done using their IDs (this is only a reason).

I personally fail to understand the reason for using Wordpress - it is a great tool, but I really don't think it can be used instead of a Wiki.

I hope I am wrong, but I want arguments to accept this.

P.S. and yes, I don't have a Wiki alternative, mainly because I haven't used any (MediaWiki is actually the only one I have installed and used a few times, but I can't recommend it giving arguments).

#36 2004-12-19 03:36:06

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

IceRAM wrote:

I hope I am wrong, but I want arguments to accept this.

Unfortunately you are not wrong. wink I was only looking at the tools and system of structuring the documents, but not how the pages get posted. WP is good for news, flow of displaying new articles, but not what phpWiki does. Moreover it doesn't have the function stringing words into a hyperlink.

Thanks for the reply. I will continue searching......

PS.
Test page is removed

Markku

#37 2004-12-19 04:32:49

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

rasat, what exactly is the functionality you are searching for?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#38 2004-12-19 06:25:53

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

cactus wrote:

rasat, what exactly is the functionality you are searching for?

<b>Features:</b>
* Similar to phpWiki (page format, post and editing)

* 2-column layout with header and footer.
   Example: http://binarybonsai.com/playground/

* Supports multiple users (compulsory login)
   (to avoid spammers)

* Categories and sub-categories displayed in 2nd column (sidebar).
   (each doc assinged to a category)

<b>Optional:</b>
* Under header admin message for Introduction & Index.
* Submit news posted under the message area (no wiki docs).

<b>Requirement:</b>
* MySQL, PHP 5 and Apache

WordPress is a close match.... maybe it could be modified? WP has two types of page: "posts" ad "pages". Currently "posts" are categoried & displayed at front page and "pages" are static. It can be changed. Posts as "wiki docs" and pages as "news articles". And a static message on front page.

Markku

#39 2004-12-19 10:10:49

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I have been looking for similar wiki functionality as well. It seems many wiki out there are either non-intuitive, or do not have the features...

I tried usemodwiki..it was ok, but the syntax was a little archaic, and the user stuff was touch and go..aside from that, it has some nice features..but still it did not quite achieve what I wanted.

It almost makes me want to write my own..but I bet my grades would suffer.
roll

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#40 2005-02-05 06:15:10

Mith

hey,
I'm just trying to bring this topic back up again.. Any new ideas on how to continue with the wiki? I still think it lacks optical flavour  :shock:

@Cactus
maybe you should really try to make a wiki system smile who cares about grades nowadays anyway  :twisted:

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#41 2005-02-05 07:15:44

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Mith wrote:

@Cactus
maybe you should really try to make a wiki system smile who cares about grades nowadays anyway  :twisted:

http://user-contributions.org/forums/us … m.php?f=12
http://solarwiki.net

svn co https://cactuswax.net/svn/solarwiki/code

wink
Still VERY much a work in progress. I have finished some of the internals, and am working my way out towards UI.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer