You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-24 08:59:41

fwc

Network setup

Hello,
I am new to Arch and trying to learn the basics of how to get the system running.  I use Linux Mint and am currently running Arch in VBox but wouldn't mind installing it later if I become proficient in using it.  What I would like to know is how to configure the network settings so they can detect the virtual drivers and connect to the internet.  Thanks very much and I hope this is easy.

#2 2009-06-24 09:27:30

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Network setup

dhcpcd eth0 should work out of the box. If not, try installing the guest addons.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2009-06-24 09:51:11

fwc

Thanks, that was very simple

Edit:
I'm not sure if these problems are related but it doesn't seem to be able to download any packages from the internet.  I tried to sync kde but I got the message

error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from ftp.archlinux.org  :  Transient resolver failure

This happened for a number of servers.  Is there anything I can do?

Last edited by fwc (2009-06-24 10:03:58)

#4 2009-06-24 13:37:54

lamnk
Website

Does this happen for all or just some sources ? Look like your network is not configured properly.

The official repository is throttled, you should use other mirror nearest to your location

#5 2009-06-24 22:06:18

Mr.Elendig

fwc wrote:

Edit:
I'm not sure if these problems are related but it doesn't seem to be able to download any packages from the internet.  I tried to sync kde but I got the message

error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from ftp.archlinux.org  :  Transient resolver failure

Try changing the dns, and using a http mirror. Also, it is strongly suggested to not use ftp.archlinux.org

#6 2009-06-25 03:28:01

fwc

Mr.Elendig wrote:
fwc wrote:

Edit:

Try changing the dns, and using a http mirror. Also, it is strongly suggested to not use ftp.archlinux.org

Ok thanks but how do I remove a mirror?
Also, I was on IRC yesterday and they told me to include OpenDNS in my name servers (resolv.conf) and it worked but then it was lost after reset.  How can I make the change permanent?

#7 2009-06-25 12:33:08

eldragon

check the wiki.. the beginner's guide is full of info

#8 2009-06-25 13:19:45

Mr.Elendig

fwc wrote:
Mr.Elendig wrote:
fwc wrote:

Edit:

Ok thanks but how do I remove a mirror?
Also, I was on IRC yesterday and they told me to include OpenDNS in my name servers (resolv.conf) and it worked but then it was lost after reset.  How can I make the change permanent?

1. Just comment out the mirror in the mirrorlist.
2. put the opendns servers in /etc/resolv.conf.head

Board footer