You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-23 19:02:45

MTsoul
Website

[Solved] projectm - how do I use it?

I'd like visualizations for my music. I'm using MOC, so I guess the visualizations would get the audio feed from ALSA directly.

I installed projectm, libvisual, and in the AUR, projectm-libvisual-alsa. I launch "projectM-libvisual-alsa" and great I see visualizations. But it doesn't detect any sound that MOC is playing. Whether or not I play anything doesn't change the visualization.

FWIW, it keeps on saying this:

libvisual CRITICAL: projectM-libvisual-alsa: visual_plugin_load(): assertion `ref != NULL' failed
libvisual CRITICAL: projectM-libvisual-alsa: get_input_plugin(): assertion `input->plugin != NULL' failed

I have no clue what plugin it's missing though sad Help?

Thanks.

Last edited by MTsoul (2009-06-26 21:05:40)

#2 2009-06-24 04:03:16

MTsoul
Website

Re: [Solved] projectm - how do I use it?

Didn't install libvisual-plugins, which includes the input plugin to use the ALSA feed.

But now it says "ALSA: buffer overrun" sad

#3 2009-06-24 07:14:18

drelyn86

I use projectm-pulseaudio... but I'm guessing you probably have your own reasons why you don't want to use pulseaudio... nothing wrong with that... it definitely has its issues.

I'm guessing you have some sort of "stereo mix" or "wave out" set as your input... does it do the same thing if you set your input to mic or line-in? If not, then it's probably a bug with the plugin... or maybe they just didn't have this type of usage in mind for this plugin.

Anyway... if it works on line-in and you're really desperate for a workaround that doesn't involve using some audio player with libvisual support or using pulseaudio, I guess you could run a stereo cable from one of your headphone ports into your line-in port...

other than that, I'm just as clueless as you are.

#4 2009-06-24 16:39:43

MTsoul
Website

Yeah I tried installing pulseaudio and it was a mess. I don't need it at all either. I'm sticking with just ALSA.

How do I get projectm to use a selected input? I just launched projectM-libvisual-alsa. From what you describe, maybe I don't even have a channel connected to it.

There is no man page, or help or anything. I tried looking at the source, and it seems to just pass command-line args to libvisual.

#5 2009-06-26 21:05:29

MTsoul
Website

From talking wth the libvisual folks over in IRC, it turns out the buffer overrun isn't much of an error. The reason it's not working is cause ALSA's capture device isn't set to the output. "alsamixer -V capture" to select the correct capture device. And unfortunately, my sound card doesn't wire the output back to input, so I can only capture from mic or line in. I have to either split my output and wire it to my line-in with a 3.5mm, or install pulseaudio/jack. sad Oh well.

Board footer