You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-26 22:37:53

dArAzAc

Initial Install Accuracy

Please excuse me, I am a complete newbie to Linux other than this week's research and a brief affair with Ubuntu and OpenSuse several years ago. I am planning on using Arch because I absolutely love the idea of simplicity which it entices through granting the user complete freedom (isn't that the purpose of open source?).:D I am also sick of Windows crashing and not trusting me.

Do you want to read on?
[Y/N]
Are you sure that you would like to read on?
[Y/N]
UAC settings will not allow you to continue.
[Ok]
/crash & burn

I was wondering, since I will be using Arch as my music production machine, if I mess up some settings during the original install-- will I be able to fix them later and widdle away/grow at the OS as I continue to use it?

Thank you!

#2 2009-06-26 22:50:38

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Initial Install Accuracy

dArAzAc wrote:

Please excuse me, I am a complete newbie to Linux other than this week's research and a brief affair with Ubuntu and OpenSuse several years ago. I am planning on using Arch because I absolutely love the idea of simplicity which it entices through granting the user complete freedom (isn't that the purpose of open source?).:D I am also sick of Windows crashing and not trusting me.

Do you want to read on?
[Y/N]
Are you sure that you would like to read on?
[Y/N]
UAC settings will not allow you to continue.
[Ok]
/crash & burn

I was wondering, since I will be using Arch as my music production machine, if I mess up some settings during the original install-- will I be able to fix them later and widdle away/grow at the OS as I continue to use it?

Thank you!

There is almost nothing you can do wrong during the install, except messing up your partion layout (nothing a backup and repartioning can't fix) or messing up the package selection (eaisly fixed from the cd, if it leads to a non-bootable install.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2009-06-26 22:56:10

dArAzAc

Perfect, I cannot wait to try this out.

#4 2009-06-27 00:02:37

arkham
Website

Just follow carefully the Beginner's Guide and everything will go smooth wink

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#5 2009-06-27 01:01:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You could also format your data partition *bitter memories of old mistakes*... assuming you already have partitions which have data.

I've sometimes thought the installer could show the labels assigned to each partition. Though it HAS taught me to take note of the physical /sdaX numbers more closely.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer