You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-28 04:08:16

trobins

SD memory from 2 cameras won't mount in flash holder

I have SD chips that I use in 2 cameras. Previously, all I had to do was place them in my usb flash drive stick and connect to my system. Sometime recently, after an update (I do that regularly, so don't know exactly when), I lost that capability.

Now, when I plug in the stick, a vfat formatted drive appears in Dolphin, but clicking on it does NOT result in access. Instead, the highlight jumps to Home. A right-click offers only "Hide 'Volume vfat'"

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I searched, but the only things I turned up related to usb drives not mounting. I have one 500GB external usb drive that mounts just fine (not thru fstab, but when accessed). I HAVE been able to access the SD chips in the stick since installing the usb 500gb drive, so don't think that is the problem

Here is the output from the "mount" command in Konsole:

[tim@myhost ~]$ mount
/dev/sda7 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev type ramfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda9 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda8 on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/mydata type reiserfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/hda1 type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /mnt/2007-tim type ext3 (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/tim/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=tim)
/dev/sdc1 on /media/disk type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)
[tim@myhost ~]$

Thanks in advance.

Tim

#2 2009-06-28 04:34:39

trobins

Re: SD memory from 2 cameras won't mount in flash holder

Quick update: through experimentation (not because of any special knowledge), I managed to get the usb stick to mount so I could access it by using:

mount -t vfat /dev/sde1 /media/fl

The /media/fl directory was already there, though it had nothing in it.

Arch used to allow me to do that via Dolphin, by just clicking on the entry in the left column. That, as I said previously, no longer happens. Short of putting the data in fstab (will that be a problem, since the stick will not be there at boot time normally?), how can I restore the previous behavior?

Tim

Board footer