You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-27 09:23:42

Raqua

[SOLVED] botched kernel26 upgrade

Ok, after searching here I found someone having similar problem to mine and in that thread it got somehow self solved, which is not my case. I posted there (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=48639) but it is marked as solved and I did not get too much reply, so I am opening new one here.

Here is the problem:

I upgraded from 2.6.28 to 2.6.29 (and tried to go to 2.6.30 as well, with the same result as with 2.6.29).
Upgrade went smooth. Mkinitcpio reported double success. My whole system is up to date btw.

After reboot I got a lot of messages saying that /lib/modules/2.6.28  sometihing is missing. System booted to kdm, but I could not log in because I have USB keyboard and the module was not loaded. I was tinkering a bit with this and found out, that modules were recreated in a correct way to directory /lib/modules/2.6.29, but my system was still booting 2.6.28 kernel.
I even tried to manually remove /boot kernel images, but it did not help.
I did back up 2.6.28 modules and when I copy them back to /lib/modules my system boots, with old kernel just fine.

Someone in previous thread suggested to check lilo, I use grub.

Last edited by Raqua (2009-06-29 19:57:02)

#2 2009-06-28 08:57:41

kujub

Re: [SOLVED] botched kernel26 upgrade

Very strange. The file names of the kernel images do not change between updates, only the modules path does. So no change is needed in GRUB if you did not rename the old file. Maybe you set up GRUB to use o boot partition and did not mount it before update?

#3 2009-06-28 10:55:54

eDio

I have a very similar problem.
I can not load any kernel module, because system tries to find modules in 2.6.29-ARCH, while I'm using kernel-2.6.30 and have no such directory in my /lib/modules ...

What is strange, that I can start X, but only with vesa driver.
Typing "modprobe <tab>" returns me an error, caused by absence of /lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH directory...

Can this be caused by outdated(?) kernel-headers-2.6.29 (not 2.6.30) ?

#4 2009-06-29 16:31:24

eDio

2Raqua
Are you using grub from another linux distribution? I can not explain this, but if I boot through Ubuntu's grub, I get this error, while booting through Arch's grub solves problem.

#5 2009-06-29 20:04:07

Raqua

I found out what was the problem. I have 2 disks in my rig. On the first one, there is my main system - Arch and the rest of the disk is data partition. The other disk is divided into smaller partitions which I use for distro testing installing.
When I want to try new distro, I disconnect my main system/data disk and install to a test disk, just to be safe.
Then I copy/adjust boot contents to the other disk /boot and grub settings.
I have not done this for some time and just messed up.
I did not copied the kernel to my /boot, I just adjusted grub. Since the other system I was testing was Chakra linux, it has the same kernel image name, not different as Ubuntu or Fedora which are on the same machine.
In grub I properly set rot partition for Chakra based on UUID, but I did not copied/renamed the kernel image, so my main system's image did boot instead. Stupid me. smile
I forgot, that this is not taken from root partition of bootins system.
After giving the two different kernels different names and copying Chakra 2.6.30 kernel to place, it works fine.

Board footer