You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-27 21:20:26

brando56894

Virtualization lags/makes my computer come to a screeching halt

Whenever Im using either vmware or virtualbox it either lags my pc down a lot or at sometimes brings it to a screeching halt and I have to do a hard reboot (not unmounting anything). This definitely shouldnt be happening with the hardware that I have: 10K WD 150gb Raptor, Amd x2 6400 (with virtualization enabled in the bios), 2GB DDR2-800 memory (512mb allocated to the guest), Gigabyte GA-MA-790GP-UD4H, BFG 8600 GTX OC, and two other 500GB WD HDDs. Im running this on arch64 with a stock kernel.

I havent tested to see if this happens when I already have an XP install written to the disk image but when I install it it lags the computer like crazy no matter what filesystem I use, Ive tried writing the image to an NTFS, jfs or ext4 and they all produce the same laggy results except for the last time when I was running out of space and transferred the already created (but empty) image to an barely used JFS partition i wasnt using that resided on a separate HDD than my system partition and the system was 99% frozen (I tried to switch from the GUI to a CLI and it took like 10 secs to bring up the username prompt and then another 10 to bring up the password prompt it timed out for entering the password, I tried going back to the GUI but all I got was the cursor)

Does anyone else seem to have a problem like this?

#2 2009-06-30 18:38:05

vexxor

Re: Virtualization lags/makes my computer come to a screeching halt

I had a similar problem where my pc performed really slow with vmware, but it turned out i wasn't supposed to assign two processors to the guest (i have a dual core). Don't know if this helps you, but the symptoms were the same. As soon as i set the guest to one processor, things were ok.

#3 2009-06-30 19:25:49

brando56894

Re: Virtualization lags/makes my computer come to a screeching halt

I installed XP on the vm while I was in windows 7 and rebooted back into linux and everything seems to work fine now. IIRC I did have it set to two processors also when I was trying to do everything in linux, hopefully I'll remember this next time. thanks.

Board footer