You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-01 14:46:45

nogoma

Unintentional(?) readline 6 upgrade

I've just finished rolling back a bunch of packages on my machine, and I'm trying to figure out if the problem was something I should have expected. I believe there are currently rebuilds going on for readline, so maybe it's as simple as that. I have [testing] enabled, as the last entry in my pacman.conf. Doing an -Suy today, I saw it was pulling in the new (1.9) ruby; I thought "Fine, it's been moved to extra,", which is where I've been running it from up until now (i.e. I've been running ruby 1.8, and have had a side AUR package installed for ruby19). However, when I double checked after the upgrade, I see that pacman is only showing ruby in [testing], not in [extra]. So, the upgrade pulled the testing version of ruby, which in turn pulled the testing version of readline (6.0); now, since the majority of the packages on my system aren't from testing and aren't built against 6.0, this caused breakage. My feeling is ruby this: I wouldn't have expected ruby to disappear from the extra repos, causing pacman to take the testing version and its dependencies. Now, yes, I probably should have paid more attention to what was upgrading from where, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if this was totally expected since I have [testing] enabled and I'm a bonehead, or if this is some sort of timing issue of packages moving from testing->core/extra? In looking at this thread, it seems at least some other people have unintentionally pulled in readline 6.0.

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!
http://www.last.fm/user/nogoma/

#2 2009-07-01 14:55:44

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Unintentional(?) readline 6 upgrade

Pacman won't find ruby-1.9 unless [testing] is above [extra].  There was a rebuild of ruby-1.8 in [extra] today as readline moved from [testing] as we were not read to move ruby-1.9 with it.

#3 2009-07-01 15:02:44

nogoma

Then it would seem to be a sync issue w/ my mirrors (I tried two different mirrors to check this)?

[alfheim:/var/cache/pacman/pkg] % grep -B 2 '^Include' /etc/pacman.conf
[core]
# Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
--
[extra]
--
[community]
--
# and they will be used before the default mirrors.
[testing]

But:

[alfheim:/var/cache/pacman/pkg] % sudo pacman -Sy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 testing is up to date
[alfheim:/var/cache/pacman/pkg] % pacman -Ss ruby|grep '\(testing\|core\|extra\)'
testing/ruby 1.9.1_p129-2

EDIT: Yes, it would seem to be a mirror issue, I just tried the third mirror in my mirrorlist, and:

[alfheim:/var/cache/pacman/pkg] % sudo pacman -Sy                                                                                                                                                                                            
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra                    381.9K 1174.9K/s 00:00:00 [#############################################################################################################################################################################################] 100%
 community                368.7K 1265.9K/s 00:00:00 [#############################################################################################################################################################################################] 100%
 testing is up to date
[alfheim:/var/cache/pacman/pkg] % pacman -Ss ruby|grep '\(core\|extra\)'
extra/ruby 1.8.7_p173-1

Frustrating -_-.

Last edited by nogoma (2009-07-01 15:06:48)

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!

#4 2009-07-01 15:46:49

shining
Pacman Developer

That is a funny and interesting problem.

I suppose this situation happens rarely and you were unlucky, but it still shows that the testing repo can sometimes be even more dangerous when it is at the end.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2009-07-01 15:51:05

nogoma

Indeed; again, I was able to correct the problem w/o too much hassle, I was just trying to figure out if this was just some weird goofup or what. I wonder if more explicit mention of when a package is going to be upgrade with a package from another repo would be appropriate; something like:

% pacman -Su
warning: ruby: replacing version from [core] (1.8.7_p173-1) with version from [testing] (1.9.1_p129-2)

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!

#6 2009-07-01 16:02:10

shining
Pacman Developer

This means normal testing users would get this warning all the time though.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

Board footer