You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-01 18:42:39

Brownigan09

AIM Daemon + frontend: A programming idea

So I've been trying to think of a good project for learning python/giving back to the community and this came up. Basically, I want this to function in a similar way to mpd + sonata/ncmpcpp/etc. I did some searching and it doesn't look like this really exists yet. (except bitlbee, but unless I don't understand how it works, I don't think I can modify it to get what I want.)

Looking at what I'd need for my idea I found PEP-3143 for making a daemon using python and Twisted for interfacing with OSCAR/AIM.

So, is this a good idea? Any interest? What crazy problems am I going to run into? Am I a moron for even thinking of trying this?

Thanks

Last edited by Brownigan09 (2009-07-01 18:52:35)

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
~Leonardo da Vinci

#2 2009-07-01 19:49:08

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: AIM Daemon + frontend: A programming idea

If your project is primarily for learning python, I'd stay away from Twisted. Twisted expects a lot of rather.... odd.... paradigms. Odd if you're a python programmer, that is. Its not necessarily a bad framework its just not that pythonic.

I'm not 100% sure what you want to do, but if its just interface with mpd over the network, I'm gonna suggest a REST based service built on web.py because its dead simple.

eg: World's simplest server, and it totally controls the music on my laptop from my phone:
http://github.com/buchuki/quodroid/blob … _server.py

Dusty

#3 2009-07-01 20:08:09

Brownigan09

Re: AIM Daemon + frontend: A programming idea

Dusty wrote:

If your project is primarily for learning python, I'd stay away from Twisted. Twisted expects a lot of rather.... odd.... paradigms. Odd if you're a python programmer, that is. Its not necessarily a bad framework its just not that pythonic.

I'm not 100% sure what you want to do, but if its just interface with mpd over the network, I'm gonna suggest a REST based service built on web.py because its dead simple.

eg: World's simplest server, and it totally controls the music on my laptop from my phone:
http://github.com/buchuki/quodroid/blob … _server.py

Dusty

Hmmm... that's not really what I was talking about. To clarify, this has nothing to do with mpd, I was only using it as an example to describe the kind of interaction I want. i.e. a backend daemon that uses the OSCAR protocol like a full-fledged AIM client (e.g. pidgin) and a frontend client to connect to it.

After poking around Twisted for a bit, though, I do agree with you on that point.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
~Leonardo da Vinci

Board footer