You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-02 12:26:44

drf

Shaman 1.2 early look

Hello people,

This post is for very, very curious people, or someone interested in the code itself. It's not quite the time yet for bug reports as everything's working but it's really, really unstable.

So, it's time to showcase a bit what is the future of Shaman, that you probably thought was dead. I was sure busy with other things, but these days I also took some time to give a semi-usable state of your (hopefully) favourite package manager. So here we go. Aqpm, the new library behind Shaman, now relies on pacman trunk + my patch that is still not in the main tree. Although, funkyou was so kind to package every dependency needed in kdemod-testing repo and to give everyone the possibility of seeing Aqpm in action.

What are the differences main with the old Shaman?

- Security: Not a single line runs as root or setuid, every transaction needing root privileges is sandboxed and authorized through PolicyKit
- Safety: thanks to the sandbox (that is already widely tested and ready for production use), you don't have to worry if Shaman crashes: the underlying ongoing transaction will be completed anyway
- Error and conversation handling: finally managing transaction errors and conversation has become solid, useful and reliable.
- Thread-safe (not yet): Alpm is handled in its very own thread in Aqpm. This means that in a not-so-distant future, Aqpm will offer the possibility of doing each transaction asynchronously or synchronously, but always in the same thread for Alpm. So your crashes are nearing the 0.
- Improved download experience: Download is now handled directly by Aqpm, so that the progress report is accurate and finally decent.

There's obviously more, but now shaman crashes often on startup, sometimes during authorization, etc, so don't expect anything smile Let me remind you that if you are trying them, you are surely interested in the source code:

http://github.com/drf/shaman1/tree/master
http://github.com/drf/aqpm/tree/master

Enjoy!

#2 2009-06-02 12:41:07

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Shaman 1.2 early look

drf wrote:

now relies on pacman trunk + my patch that is still not in the main tree.

It will definitely be there before pacman-3.3 is released...

#3 2009-06-02 12:43:38

drf

Allan wrote:
drf wrote:

now relies on pacman trunk + my patch that is still not in the main tree.

It will definitely be there before pacman-3.3 is released...

It's not a problem, for now, we just provided an alpm-mod package that installs just the modded library and doesn't conflict with alpm, and it works nice smile

#4 2009-06-03 11:41:27

stefanwilkens

freaking.awesome smile

I'm still using the original shaman daily

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#5 2009-07-02 17:22:28

brando56894

Awesome, Im looking forward to it.

Board footer