You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-02 21:57:26

vkumar

looking to buy a laptop

I'm looking at the Dell Inspiron 15 line, and I think it would have a good cost/value ratio..
The user reviews are fairly positive, but I want to get your thoughts on it (or on Dell laptops in general).

I'm looking for comments about hardware quality and durability. Aesthetics don't matter to me much. If you have suggestions for alternate brands, please mention why I shouldn't consider a Dell as well.

I'm planning to get it customised like this;
* intel core2 duo 2.0ghz processor
* 4gb ram
* 160gb HDD
* intel graphics
* no webcam
* WLED screen
* 1-year warranty

that comes out to $589 (USD). Most other laptops with 4gb ram and a core2 duo tend to offer 250gb HDDs as the minimum, which jacks up the price =p. That's why I like this one - I can strip off everything I don't need (and save money).

So, what do you guys think?

div curl F = 0

#2 2009-07-03 02:29:56

Trent

Re: looking to buy a laptop

<advertisement type="shameless">
I have handled many laptops, and nothing (except possibly the Macbook Pro) compares to the quality of a Thinkpad.  They may be expensive, but I am on my second one and I will never buy anything else.
</advertisement>

If you just want a consumer (cheap) laptop that will hold up well, a Dell should do you fine.  The Inspiron line is IIRC the lowest quality, though, so watch what you pick.  Check them out at Best Buy etc. before you buy.  But I really like Thinkpads; they're well worth the money IMO.  The online community (forum.thinkpads.com) is remarkable as well.

#3 2009-07-03 04:03:41

vkumar

Re: looking to buy a laptop

Thanks, but we ended up with an HP. It's nice enough, and cheaper than the customised Inspiron I was looking at.. The one we bought from the local Costco was a $100 bucks cheaper than the exact same model on the HP site smile

div curl F = 0

Board footer