You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-03 01:22:42

AngryKoala

[SOLVED] Phone Tethering

Has anyone successfully tethered a phone on Arch?  And yes, I googled for hours, and days, for weeks, so productive responses to the point please.

When I plug my phone into the usb port in Windows, it fires right up and makes a new connection automatically for me.  It is the Samsung Omnia on WM6.  I can use synce to use the activesync feature, and also just use it as an external hdd in arch.  So, did anyone successfully set up internet sharing with their phone?  Thank you.

Last edited by AngryKoala (2009-07-03 07:25:04)

#2 2009-07-03 06:18:48

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Phone Tethering

on my HTC touch...

plug it in,
start the 'internet sharing' application on the phone, select USB.

then a new interface will appear in ifconfig, then run 'dhcpcd interface' where interface is whatever it was called (can't remember now, I use bluetooth with my new computer)

#3 2009-07-03 07:03:16

tomk
Forum Fellow

When I plug in my Nokia N70 via USB, I get a /dev/ttyACM0 interface that I use in my /etc/ppp/peers/* file to get a net connection. To access the storage space on it, I unload the cdc-acm module that creates that interface and mount the phone with obexfs. I can (but I don't) also sync using the same obex interface.

You didn't specify the make/model of your phone, so I have no idea if this information is relevant to you.

One more thing - please remember that this is a community forum, so you should be grateful for any responses that other users are kind enough to provide, without charge, and in their spare time. Requesting "productive responses to the point please" is not appropriate in this context.

#4 2009-07-03 07:24:11

AngryKoala

I said that it is the Samsung Omnia, and as far as I know, that is the only model there is.  Yes, thank you both iphitus and tomk, for that was useful to me, and helped me to solve it.  And as for information to the point, it seems sometimes like it is not the pattern to give such, though only sometimes.  That being the case, it was posted out of frustration, since I felt much RTFM or LMGTFY going around.  I try not to post things for such reasons, but it's not always fun being made a fool because of a mistake or ignorance.  Anyways, the problem was solved, so thank you.

Last edited by AngryKoala (2009-07-03 07:32:36)

#5 2009-07-03 13:49:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Apologies - I overlooked the make and model in your original post.

If you believe another forum user is attempting to make a fool of you, report them. The moderator team is here to handle situations of that sort.

RTFM/RTFW is a valid response to many questions posted here, so you will see it, or variations of it, quite frequently. Do not let that dissuade you from posting your own questions, subject of course to the usual requirements for participation here.

See Forum Etiquette and the stickies at the top of Newbie Corner for further details.

Board footer