You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-30 14:49:49

trobins

Error messages re: config files during boot

After the most recent update I did to my system, I notice there are about 5-6 error messages that appear early during the boot process. They pass by very quickly and I cannot read them, except that they apparently are complaining about some problem with my config files.

I have looked through every log file in /var/log and not found them there. Is there another location where I might find such information? If not, is there some way to single-step through the boot process, some switch I can add to the grub command line?

Don't know if it relates or not, but I have also noticed that FF is now taking much longer to move from page to page, and the message "looking up...<domain name>" appears at the bottom left. That also started immediately after the latest update (Saturday or Sunday, I think).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim

#2 2009-06-30 14:50:55

arkham
Website

Re: Error messages re: config files during boot

Add read at the end of /etc/rc.local to read the boot sequence errors.

Hint: http://www.archlinux.org/news/450/

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#3 2009-07-01 04:28:14

trobins

Thanks for the reply. I added read to /etc/rc.local as suggested, and that slows things some, but I have vison problems and have still not managed to read all the errors as they pass by. Is there some way to simply pass all of the output that normally goes to the console, into a file on the HD for later review?

I visited the link you provided and found this:

New module-init-tools changes modprobe configuration file location

The new module-init-tools 3.8 package changes the location of the configuration file: /etc/modprobe.conf is no longer read, instead /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf is used. Files in /etc/modprobe.d without a .conf suffix will be ignored in the future.

Please adjust your local configuration files after the update.

So I checked and found I have NO /etc/modprobe.conf file. There IS a /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf file, but it contains ONLY comments:

#
# /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
#

I have /etc/modprobe.conf.pacsave:

# /etc/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
#
# disable autoload of ipv6
alias net-pf-10 off

and /etc/modprobe.d:

(empty)

So I cannot figure out how the information on the linked page addresses the problem I have. Any other suggestions? And thank you again for your patience with an Arch newbie.

Tim

#4 2009-07-03 03:44:41

handy

I just upgraded into these new changes also.

My sound wasn't working after the upgrade, so I copied the contents of /etc/modprobe.conf into the new /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf file, & now my sound works.

You should do the same & then delete or rename the deprecated /etc/modprobe.conf file to avoid confusion.

I also now have a very poor graphics speed after the upgrade, which I consider to be another messed up driver upgrade from ATi, but that's a story for another place. sad

Last edited by handy (2009-07-03 04:08:56)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#5 2009-07-03 13:36:02

trobins

Thanks handy, that solved the problem I was having with very slow page loads. However, I still see the error messages during boot. All of them complain about the same file, even though it DOES have .conf at the end of its name.

I copied the following from /etc/modporobe.conf to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (which was empty) and now all is well.

# /etc/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
#
# disable autoload of ipv6
alias net-pf-10 off

Thanks for the help.

Tim

#6 2009-07-03 15:49:33

arkham
Website

trobins wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I added read to /etc/rc.local as suggested, and that slows things some, but I have vison problems and have still not managed to read all the errors as they pass by. Is there some way to simply pass all of the output that normally goes to the console, into a file on the HD for later review?

Use Shift + PgUp to scroll up.

Check if you have a /etc/modprobe.conf.pacsave file and if it contains only comments, remove it.
/etc/modprobe.d/ is a directory, check its contents with

cd /etc/modprobe.d/; ls

If there is any file not ending with ".conf"

mv FILENAME FILENAME.conf

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

Board footer