You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-04 03:05:47

redsteakraw

Trying to install Arch on a SD card.

I have an EEE PC 900 and was trying to install arch on a 32gb sd card.

Every kernel I have tried so far boots then during bootup says it cannot find the root drive. 
I tried changing the root delay but that didn't work.  So far I tried the defalt kernel and toofisnes's kernel and both came up with the same error.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

#2 2009-07-04 03:13:28

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Trying to install Arch on a SD card.

I am running an HP 2133 off an SDHC card.  I use the stock kernel.  Most SD readers are usb devices.  Did you enable USB booting when installing the kernel?

#3 2009-07-04 03:36:43

redsteakraw

my bios can boot from the SD fine. Grub also boots fine off of the sd card.  I ran the arch installer from a usb thumb drive. and II am currently running knoppix off of a SD card.

#4 2009-07-04 09:43:51

TheSaint

Why not trying to copy an Arch live and change the isolinux with the equivqlent syslinux.
It's the same tecnique used by knoppix. Remember to make the SD bootable.

F

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#5 2009-07-04 10:05:00

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

keenerd wrote:

Did you enable USB booting when installing the kernel?

redsteakraw wrote:

my bios can boot from the SD fine. Grub also boots fine off of the sd card.  I ran the arch installer from a usb thumb drive. and II am currently running knoppix off of a SD card.

Good.  Glad to hear that your motherboard supports usb boot.  However, you did not understand my question.

Think back to when you installed Arch  And it asks if you want to boot from an encrypted/RAID/LVM/USB/etc root partition?  That USB option is pretty important.  (Post-install it is one of the mkinitcpio hooks.)  Without it, your kernel will not have the drivers to read your root partition.

Reinstall from the Arch iso.  When you get to the kernel step, it will ask "Do you want to boot from USB?"  Select "yes".

#6 2009-07-04 18:14:07

redsteakraw

I got it to work by adding usb to my mkinitcpio file. thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Board footer