You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-05 08:49:40

insanemal

Bash scripts failing (among other things) in kernel 2.6.30.1-1

Hey guys.

Well Im running a laptop with an all intel chipset, so I've been running the Testing kernel's and Vid drivers for some time (as without them life would be so much slower and harder tongue) But the most recent one caused some odd things to happen.

Bash scripts started going quite odd. Segfauling out of bash scripts, and other weird errors. I luckly had a 2.6.30-5 built (i always keep an extra compiled kernel handy) so i booted that and downgraded my kernel package. But all kinds of apps were failing hard. X would freeze, Yaourt had odd errors when you tried to Update your package lists.

Im less reporting the issue and more seeing if other people have had similar things?

Anyway let me know..

Oh before I forget.. X86_64

Any other questions let me know..

#2 2009-07-05 08:53:04

cdwillis

Re: Bash scripts failing (among other things) in kernel 2.6.30.1-1

I'm running an netbook with intel chipset and using testing but I haven't experienced anything like that. I'm using i686 though

#3 2009-07-05 08:59:53

insanemal

Well i also upgraded my libjpeg (which is aparently causing issues but unrelated to my bash issues) and some other packages at the same time.. so now im starting to wonder if it was the kernel upgrade that broke things....

I might spot test the kernel. I did just update using everything in testing (not my usual thing.. but for some reason it sounded like a good idea at the time)

Hmm... ok.. ill just test the kernel.. the package is still in my cache.

Ill let you all know!

EDIT:

Ok.. so Its not the kernel. So what else could be causing those issues.. Or did it just build funny?

Last edited by insanemal (2009-07-05 09:18:54)

#4 2009-07-05 11:11:02

saedelaere

insanemal wrote:

Well i also upgraded my libjpeg (which is aparently causing issues but unrelated to my bash issues) and some other packages at the same time.. so now im starting to wonder if it was the kernel upgrade that broke things....

I might spot test the kernel. I did just update using everything in testing (not my usual thing.. but for some reason it sounded like a good idea at the time)

Hmm... ok.. ill just test the kernel.. the package is still in my cache.

Ill let you all know!

EDIT:

Ok.. so Its not the kernel. So what else could be causing those issues.. Or did it just build funny?

Could it be you have a problem with grep? There was an update for grep on x86_64. Now "grep -w" is no longer working correct. If you use this command in your bash scripts they will fail.
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15330

#5 2009-07-05 13:46:49

insanemal

Oddly enough this isn't the issue... as reverting all the package changes back to the current non testing ones fixed the issue, unless the new grep in Testing makes it even worse.

I was getting weird errors using mkinitcpio it was throwing errors something like 'hook "" does not exist'
or something to that effect. So im not sure if that is a clue.. that and Yaourt would fail after doing an -Sy
so would pacman for that matter. hmmm... i've got an idea.

Nope.. wasnt grep.

Well I'm perplexed to say the least.  Im putting it down to somehow performing an C-x M-c M-butterfly while doing the upgrade. I'm more than willing to throw other packages at my laptop to see if I can break it again.. but short of knowing which ones I'll probably just leave it.

Tho I did spot some file conflicts with one of the packages.. Mind you they appear to be just files in the licence package.

But yeah any suggestions.. will get tested.

Oh crap.. i just spotted absolutely nothing.. never mind..

Last edited by insanemal (2009-07-05 14:16:29)

#6 2009-07-05 14:29:32

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

There's a bug in the bash 4.0 package.  See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15367

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#7 2009-07-05 22:30:21

insanemal

That's so freaking weird. Why would it be working fine after I used yaourt to "downgrade" from testing?
Is there an update that would "exacerbate" the issue?

Board footer