You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-06 21:45:50

Session

Pacman will not work after upgrade, but webbrowsing works fine

As topic stated. sudo pacman -Syu gives:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from mirror.archlinux.no : Transient resolver failure
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from mirror.archlinux.no : Transient resolver failure
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from jane.tihlde.org : Transient resolver failure
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from jane.tihlde.org : Transient resolver failure
error: failed to update core (Transient resolver failure)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db.tar.gz' from mirror.archlinux.no : Transient resolver failure
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db.tar.gz' from mirror.archlinux.no : Transient resolver failure
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db.tar.gz' from jane.tihlde.org : Transient resolver failure
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db.tar.gz' from jane.tihlde.org : Transient resolver failure
error: failed to update extra (Transient resolver failure)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db.tar.gz' from mirror.archlinux.no : Transient resolver failure
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db.tar.gz' from mirror.archlinux.no : Transient resolver failure
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db.tar.gz' from jane.tihlde.org : Transient resolver failure
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db.tar.gz' from jane.tihlde.org : Transient resolver failure
error: failed to update community (Transient resolver failure)
error: failed to synchronize any databases

Yet internet in general works fine. This happened after an upgrade, but I can't remember what was updated because I went on a holliday right after the update. I have a kernel oss linkage error at boot, but don't know if this has anything to do with it. Is there any thing I could paste to help solve the matter?

#2 2009-07-06 21:50:52

arkham
Website

Re: Pacman will not work after upgrade, but webbrowsing works fine

Change your mirrors in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist ?

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#3 2009-07-06 21:51:56

Epiphanic

Check your /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist file.  You may have mirrors commented out.  Simply uncomment the ones in your country (delete the "#") and you should be able to update via Pacman.

#4 2009-07-06 21:54:52

Session

I uncomented some of the lines for my neighbour contries and it works again. My bad. Of course I should have tested before. To my defense I figured it out before reading the posts. Thanks anyway! smile

#5 2009-07-06 21:58:35

Session

One more thing though. Where can I find the log from boot? I have some errors with some files not beeing read unless .conf or something like that, this is during boot.

#6 2009-07-06 22:01:04

arkham
Website

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#7 2009-07-06 22:09:35

mcmillan

Session wrote:

One more thing though. Where can I find the log from boot? I have some errors with some files not beeing read unless .conf or something like that, this is during boot.

Probably should make a new post for that, but real quick most log files are in /var/log, don't know which would have what you're looking for though. Also that sounds like it might be related to the changes given here

#8 2009-07-06 22:16:17

Session

The new module-init-tools 3.8 package changes the location of the configuration file: /etc/modprobe.conf is no longer read, instead /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf is used. Files in /etc/modprobe.d without a .conf suffix will be ignored in the future.

Please adjust your local configuration files after the update.

The way I read this is that I can delete /etc/modprobe.conf and all files/folders in /etc/modprobe.d that does not contain .conf suffix?

#9 2009-07-07 21:48:02

mcmillan

Session wrote:

The new module-init-tools 3.8 package changes the location of the configuration file: /etc/modprobe.conf is no longer read, instead /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf is used. Files in /etc/modprobe.d without a .conf suffix will be ignored in the future.

Please adjust your local configuration files after the update.

The way I read this is that I can delete /etc/modprobe.conf and all files/folders in /etc/modprobe.d that does not contain .conf suffix?

Not quite, if you have anything in /etc/modprobe.conf you still want to be read it should be moved into /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf, and anything that's already in modprobe.d/ should get renamed so it's called *.conf

Board footer