You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-06 14:04:52

UniCav

bad mount points from udev or /proc/mounts?

My system seems to be retaining old mount points from udev and randomly inserting them in /proc/mounts on boot.  I had copied files from my old hard drive with a sata>usb adapter and udev mounted the drive as /media/usb1 - usb3.  Now at random the system will fail at the filesystem check on boot, which is right after udev starts.  When I remount / as rw and start looking around I'll find /media/usb1 linked to /dev/sdb1, my 2nd hard drive, which is supposed to be mounted at /mnt/Video2.  The invalid mount points show up in mtab and /proc/mounts.  mtab can be deleted and will be recreated every time from /proc/mounts.  /proc/mounts is created on boot, but where is it getting the invalid information?  The first time it happened it mounted /dev/sdb1 on all 3 of the /media/usb# mount points.  And if you run mount to see a list it says nothing but / is mounted.  I eventually had to boot off a CD and mount /dev/sdb1 to delete the /media/usb directories so it would reboot.

#2 2009-07-08 21:11:26

djszapi
Website

Re: bad mount points from udev or /proc/mounts?

does udevadm monitor & recognise your device well? What's the content of your /etc/fstab ?

#3 2009-07-09 13:30:28

UniCav

Re: bad mount points from udev or /proc/mounts?

I have no problem getting devices managed and automatically mounted, and fstab has entries for each drive by uuid as set up automatically during install.  the only entry I added in fstab was my /dev/sdb1 /mnt/Video2.  The problem only occurs on boot up, and when it does there will be mount points in /media that shouldn't be there and all of them will be mounted to /dev/sdb1.  I've found no rhyme or reason that it should be mounting /dev/sdb1 in /media on boot or where it's getting that info from.  The mount points show up in mtab when it occurs.

Board footer