I've tried to compile the ati driver according to the howto on the wiki page.
All went well it seemed.
After running 'fglrxconfig', I was happy to see I have a working X.
Unfortunatly the joy didn't last long. Running 'glxinfo' crashes X. (In fact running glxgears has same effect) Only error message I get is "Broken IO pipe 32"
I have a MSI K8N Neo2 mobo, and an ATI 9600XT card and an AMD64 3500+ proc.
Running kernel 2.6.9 (own kernel build and default one give same problem)
I'm pretty clueless about what else I can try. My guess is that the nforce3 causes the problem. (but then again its just my guess)
Running "dmesg | grep agpgart" gives me the following output :
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0 agpgart: Setting up Nforce3 AGP. agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xf0000000 Based on agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 816M agpgart: Unsupported nVidia chipset (device id: 00e1), you might want to try agp_try_unsupported=1. agpgart: no supported devices found. agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0. agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
agpgart is not running as a module, and I enabled the option in fglrxconfig to use its own agpgart from the driver.
Basically I'm wondering if anybody has a simular setup and was able to set it up correctly. Or how I can proceed in finding the problem and solving it.
I was a bit to fast with my conclusion, downgrading xorg to 6.7 did the trick ( as for so many others)
I'm really loving this distribution so far. Great documentation...if you search long enough and read all the way down