You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-03 19:47:24

tezem
Website

Two Buttons not working, mistake on PCMCIA, modem,....

Ok first of all I have problems with two of my four extra buttons on my Samsung X30. These two don't give keycodes when I try this with xev. Anybody an idea how to use these buttons anyway? When I push these buttons I get the following in demsg:

atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x75 on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 75 <keycode>' to make it known.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x75 on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 75 <keycode>' to make it known.
atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x74 on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 74 <keycode>' to make it known.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x74 on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 74 <keycode>' to make it known.

I see what it says about setkeycodes but finally I didn't know the keycodes for this keys so I couldn't set it I think.

Second problem is the PCMCIA. I configured YENTA as module and activated Cardbus in my kernel under PCMCIA and this is loading fine:

Yenta: CardBus bridge found at 0000:02:03.0 [144d:c00f]
Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x0018, PCI irq 11

But when pcmcia daemon is loaded on init that the module I82356 couldn't be loaded and so I copiled this module in my kernel. Now I get message on daemon load that this module couldn't be loaded: no such device. Very strange I think. i82356 is a ISA bridge and I'm pretty sure I don't have one on my machine so I don't understand why he depends on it.
I also get the message cardmgr[2739]: watching 2 sockets. I don't know exactly what this means but finally it has something to do with the pcmcia and the memory card reader I have on my machine which are both on the same socket or something like this. It would be very interesting if my memory card reader is working also when my pcmcia is working. I couldn't test both because I don't own such cards.

Last but not least I want to set up my modem so when I need it in the future I can use it without problems. It's a AC97 modem and I activated SND_INTEL8X0 for the sound and SND_INTEL8X0M which should be the modem. The last one is marked as EXPERIMENTAL but I think it should work but I don't have a clue how to get it working and how I should see if the driver runs correct. I have installed ppp but I couldn't start it because I don't have a /dev/ppp and when I create one with mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0 and try it again I get:

/usr/sbin/pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
/usr/sbin/pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

best regards

#2 2004-12-03 22:20:54

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Two Buttons not working, mistake on PCMCIA, modem,....

a) what keys are they on the keyboard? i'm kinda curious about the isa0060/serio0 at the end - looks like it's sending a serial signal...

b) the two sockets are both pcmcia... most laptops have 2 slots right on top of each other.... the card reader is something different (mine is on a usb bus, IIRC).

c) try messing with cardctl and it's options (status, ident, etc) to get pcmcia going... you shouldn't need yenta_socket if its a newer laptop (yenta is older pcmcia)

d) be careful with the snd modules... probing snd-intel8x0m on my laptop kills normal audio

e) preparing to use your modem in the future is like preparing to use a 5 1/4" floppy in te future... it might be useful, but odds are it just won't happen... other than that it's been so long since i set up a modem I don't even know where to begin...

#3 2004-12-04 10:20:29

tezem
Website

to a) These Keys are working in Windows for starting InternetExplorer and the second one is user defined. All keys could be changed with a extra program called Sens Keyboard.
I'm pretty sure that these two keys are a little bit out of standard because the Email butten gives me normal keycodes with xev.

to b) and how I find my Card Reader? :-)

to c) the yenta socket is the one for 32bit so I think this is the one of the three buses available in the kernel for pcmcia which is the newest.
cardactl status 0 and cardactl status 1 say no card so I think it runs.

to d) sound works flawless I will let the modem module enabled therefore.

to e) your right that I will not really need the modem but I like to get everything working only to see if that notebook is 100% Linux compatible.

#4 2004-12-04 15:38:58

Hum

the driver you need for your modem is slmoedm. pacman -S slmodem the snd-intel8x0m is only the sound driver for the modem.  There is a wiki entry on how to set it up

#5 2004-12-05 11:53:40

tezem
Website

thx my modem is working now but I need the proper daemon script to load it because I had to build the package for myself and the script available in this tar don't run. Before I'll post this original not working script I must make something clear.
The snd-intel8x0m driver can also be used to run this modem AFAIK everything runs with ALSA then but when I load this intel modem module My sound isn't working any more like phrakture said before. At the time it's better I think, to use the driver that comes with the slmodem package named slusb or slamr depending on what sort of modem it is exactly.

But now my faulty daemon script for slmodem:

#!/bin/sh
#
# slmodemd:    Starts the SmartLink Modem Daemon
#
# chkconfig: 345 90 10
# description: This is the user space part of the SmartLink Modem driver
# processname: slmodemd
# config: /etc/sysconfig/slmodem

# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

prog=slmodemd
RETVAL=0

# Default configuration
# Device selection
SLMODEMD_DEVICE=slamr0
#Your country, try "slmodemd --countrylist"
SLMODEMD_COUNTRY=AUSTRIA

# Source configuration
CONFIG=/etc/sysconfig/$prog
if [ -f $CONFIG ]; then
        . $CONFIG
    # override default group and permissions if defined in $CONFIG;
    # other valid options also can be put into SLMODEMD_OPTS variable
    [ "$GROUP" ] && SLMODEMD_OPTS="$SLMODEMD_OPTS --group=$GROUP"
    [ "$PERMS" ] && SLMODEMD_OPTS="$SLMODEMD_OPTS --perm=$PERMS"
fi

# uncomment this if you want this feature (if necessary edit module pattern):
# do not try to start on a kernel which does not support it
# grep -q 'slamr..*o' /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep || exit 0

start() {
    echo -n "Starting SmartLink Modem driver for $SLMODEMD_DEVICE: "
    $prog </dev/null >/dev/null 2>/dev/null 
        --country=$SLMODEMD_COUNTRY $SLMODEMD_OPTS /dev/$SLMODEMD_DEVICE &
    RETVAL=$?
    [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && success $"$prog startup" || failure $"$prog startup"
    echo
    [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/$prog
    return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
    echo -n "Shutting down SmartLink Modem driver: "
    killproc $prog
    RETVAL=$?
    [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog
    return $RETVAL
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
    start
    ;;
  stop)
    stop
    ;;
  status)
    status $prog
    RETVAL=$?
    ;;
  restart|reload)
    stop
    start
    RETVAL=$?
    ;;
  condrestart)
        if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog ]; then
        stop
        start
        RETVAL=$?
    fi
    ;;
  *)
    echo "*** Usage: $prog {start|stop|status|restart|condrestart}"
    exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

Please help me to fix this script to work with arch.

#6 2004-12-25 21:04:05

tezem
Website

Would like to complete this thread.
Have found a way to get the two keys, mentioned above, working. I made it with the command 'setkeycodes'. This was very easy because when I pushed the buttons the kernel log (dmesg) say I have to execute this command and give me the proper hexcode needed to map it to a available keycode.
I put the two commands for my two keys in my /etc/rc.local so this is made on every boot automatically.

Board footer