You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-10 14:05:21

bili

Xfce function keys & pidgin problem

Hi people
I use Archlinux since yesterday and after some problems, only two are remaining :-) but i have not found anything on the web to both issues :-(
The first issue is that xfce doesnt "remember" the key binding for raising the volume. After setting the hotkey in the keyboard-manager it works flawlessly but after a reboot, the hotkey( fn + up ) doesnt work. But in the keyboard manager the entry is still there and the other two are working perfectly( mute/unmute and reduce volume )
I am using the Aspire One A110 netbook(the one with the ssd). First I used the keycodes from the wiki(both types) but, then I rembered, that Xfce knows them, because I also had Xubuntu installed. So I removed the entry from .xinitrc to execute Xmodmap. It knows the 3 shortcuts but it has the same behavior with the entry in xmodmap

The second issue is about pidgin, when I put it into autostart apps, it cannot resolve the server names for my accounts(icq,msn), but when I start it manuelly it works. First I thought maybe a permission problem, but I start the session, so I also start pidgin when it is executed by a script. I have searched on the web, but I also found anything.
Should I start for this a new thread?

If you need further information please tell me!

EDIT: I forgot to say, I tried it with CTRL + P for testing, and it worked after a reboot..

Last edited by bili (2009-07-10 14:30:59)

#2 2009-07-10 19:01:29

djszapi
Website

Re: Xfce function keys & pidgin problem

#3 2009-07-11 01:18:16

bili

Re: Xfce function keys & pidgin problem

hi
thank you for your reply.
no pidgin is started by xfce, it is in the autostarted apps. Now I also have my dropbox installed, and it has the same problem, and it is started by the same way. So i assume it is a general problem and not program specific.

Thank you for the links, I will take a look at it!

I tested with 'xev' my keyboard inputs ( fn + up ), and got this result, without using a Xmodmap:

KeyRelease event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
    root 0xbc, subw 0x0, time 662901, (-447,77), root:(305,353),
    state 0x0, keycode 123 (keysym 0x1008ff13, XF86AudioRaiseVolume), same_screen

So I think it is not a problem with the Xmodmap.

EDIT: Today I did a reinstall and after some time it worked to get internet access with my autostarted apps, I do not know why, but it works now :-))

EDIT2: Now I know why my autostarted applications cannot connect to their server, they are started when I have no internet access, and then they do not want it, temporary I made startupscripts for my applications, they sleep 15 seconds and then the programs are executed, so it works, but it is not so pretty.

Last edited by bili (2009-07-12 15:08:25)

Board footer