You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-11 04:26:52

fh

[SOLVED] Installed Archlinux; but network configuration problem

Hello All,

This is my first post at this forum. I read about Archlinux only today and feel its the right distro for me. I've been using Ubuntu for 3+ years now and used Red Hat before that.  I  tried installing Archlinux on my machine in the university lab, but there seems to be a network config. issue.

I'm following all instructions in the beginner's guide. My problem is here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … cessary.29

It says, try the following: # ping -c 3 www.google.com

But this isn't working for me. ("3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2008ms").  But note that "ping -c 3 www.ucf.edu" is working fine. (ucf.edu is the local university network). Other than ucf.edu, no URL ping works.

I checked the files /etc/rc.conf, /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf and I don't think I've messed up anywhere. (However, I don't really know if my network is dhcp or static IP. I assumed its dhcp and then modified the above files accordingly). How do I get to know if its dhcp or static?

Thanks in advance for helping out,

Faraz Hussain.

Last edited by fh (2009-07-12 18:32:37)

#2 2009-07-11 07:14:16

djszapi
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Installed Archlinux; but network configuration problem

In this case I try both of them smile Try to connect to the router device/pc more times, and you will see that you get a fix ip or not.

On this PC under ubuntu, can you ping  www.gooogle.com?

#3 2009-07-11 07:31:18

tomk
Forum Fellow

If you can ping 74.125.45.100 (that's google) but not google.com, it's a DNS issue. Fix your resolv.conf, or post it here if you need help.

If you can't ping the ip address, it might be a routing issue. Post the output of ifconfig and route.

#4 2009-07-11 07:35:42

djszapi
Website

it can't a dns issue if he can ping ping -c 3 www.ucf.edu.

#5 2009-07-11 11:33:24

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

djszapi wrote:

it can't a dns issue if he can ping ping -c 3 www.ucf.edu.

It can be, if the uni is running their own dns, on the internal network.

It could also be that the gateway is incorrect, or that it's blocking icmp (but the last is not likely.)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2009-07-11 13:28:24

Trent

It can't be a DNS issue anyway.  The OP stated that 3 packets were transmitted, so obviously ping was able to resolve the hostname to an IP (which should have been printed at the top of the output from ping).

fh: My workplace (a university) does indeed filter icmp packets (except to the local network), so I'm inclined to believe that is your problem.  If so, it can be safely ignored.  If you want to eliminate other issues, try 'wget google.com'; if it downloads a file called index.html into the current directory, you're in good shape.

#7 2009-07-11 15:34:49

fh

Thanks to everyone for their replies.  What I'm doing now is trying the installation again. This time I'll be even more careful with what options I'm choosing.

I already have one note: I downloaded and burned this file on a CD -- archlinux-2009.02-ftp-i686.  I booted using that and started /arch/setup. Then I chose the FTP/HTTP install. And it did give me a message which said something like "dhcp network config successful".

And then I selected and installed the packages. After that, it said "do you want to use the network settings from the install in rc.conf and resolv.conf?" --- and I have said yes.

Now I'll proceed to configure the system. I'll keep updating this thread.

#8 2009-07-11 15:50:33

fh

Trent wrote:

fh: My workplace (a university) does indeed filter icmp packets (except to the local network), so I'm inclined to believe that is your problem.  If so, it can be safely ignored.  If you want to eliminate other issues, try 'wget google.com'; if it downloads a file called index.html into the current directory, you're in good shape.

Trent: I just finished reinstalling and got the same problem as before when trying to ping google.com.  I then trying 'wget google.com' and it has indeed downloaded an index.html in the current directory! Thanks a lot!

I'll now proceed to Step 2 ("Update, Sync and Upgrade the system with pacman").

Board footer